Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Going back to stock height from 4” and 37’s. What do I remove/swap?

Old 01-12-2023, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going back to stock height from 4” and 37’s. What do I remove/swap?

Hey all ,
I have an 07 JKU , 6 speed , 4.88 gears , 37” toyo rt tires, pics below
I plan on giving the jeep to my uncle and we want to take her down to 33”AT’s for better driveabilty,he’s too old for it….I’m just not sure where to start. There’s plenty of stock take offs online to buy but can someone guide me based on my setup what I’d need to change. Was thinking to keep the coil spacers to fix the front end rake.

MY SETUP
-Mopar 3” lift w FOX dual reservoir shocks
-mopar 3” fixed upper lower control arms
-1.5 coil spacer front , 1” spacer rear
-Teraflex adj track bar
-synergy tie rod
-synergy drag link
-drag link flip (bolt on not welded )
-rear track bar bracket

What can I keep from this list?

Old 01-13-2023, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Chaznad first of all your uncle is a lucky man to have you in his family and to have one hell of a beautiful DD. Some folks on this forum will complain that those Fox shocks are stiff for a DD so maybe some softer shocks. What if you left the 3" lift and just removed the spacers.... I believe you were thinking just the opposite. Will be watching to see final result.
The following users liked this post:
chaznad (01-14-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 04:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Have you broken the news to this guy they're losing their ride?? -

Going back to factory height the tie rod won't be affected.

The DL flip will have to be reversed. Fortunately, the Synergy DL can be mounted in either orientation so just flip that back down to the underside of the knuckle.....you'll still need to use that tapered sleeve since the knuckle was drilled out but that is nbd...and since the TB bracket is bolt on that is easy to remove.

The rear raised TB bracket would be removed.

The adjustable front TB, if you can adjust it short enough, is fine to keep. Not sure how short that one can be adjusted.

The fixed-length front arms are likely too much at stock height. You'd likely be better off removing them to sell if you can locate some factory arms. If you can't locate factory arms and want some I still have mine boxed up somewhere and will never need them.....I'd donate them to the cause if you covered shipping.

If in good shape the shocks might return enough money to put something decent and more appropriate on for him.

The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
chaznad (01-14-2023), Jay2013jk (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man you guys are just awesome , I was worried nobody comments in JK anymore because most moved on to JL’s . I’ve owned YJ TJs and my jk and I will say nothing compares to jeepers , just honest loyal friendly people always willing to help.
I own a viper and a vette and those guys can be snobby pricks
ill keep u guys posted if I have any more questions. Deep down I want to keep the jeep especially for my dog but there’s so much traffic here and a stick can be a pain and that 3.8 is a dog … only way I can keep it and daily it is throwing an v8 / auto trans but bruiser conversions is next to me and wants 30k which I found crazy ,27k for a 5.3 and 30-32 for better
Old 01-14-2023, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 410 Likes on 385 Posts

Just had to jump in .. no further suggestions.. Very good looking JK.. Ditto on resharp, he knows his stuff..
Old 01-22-2023, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just another thing to think about.... Gearing is going to be rough with 4.88's and 33's, Speaking from personal experience it'll be whining at highway speeds.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Chadnaz - Motech sell a LT generation complete do it yourself kit for $9K odd and it works after installing. You have to source an engine, tranny and accessories. Not sure if the new kits have an ECU and harness though. You should be able to pick up an LT 6.2 and 10 spd with low miles in and around Texas for about $8-9K or less and an LT5.3/8spd for around $5-6K. And you need to turf the 4:1 TCase and go to a 2.72 because of the output shaft size of the tranny. You get the correct gear to install in the TCase with the kit. It's still ok as the auto has 4.6:1 first gear ratio.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys ,I just purchased an old man emu 2” HD kit. This should give me a much smoother softer ride over my fox.
so the plan is , remove old kit and spacers and install this kit apparently they net 3” which is perfect because my current mopar kit has fixed 3” U/L Control arms. Now my question is , what about my drag link flip? Do I go back to the standard method or should I leave the flip. Anything else I need to know. After this I will be looking for some light weight AT 35’s and the ride should be much better I’m guessing
Old 01-29-2023, 03:54 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Pavement only type thing, the DL flip is still fine. If going to be wheeled it would still be ok but you need to make sure you have enough bump stop to avoid your DL from just being jammed into your frame rail. IE....you'd just limit your uptravel a bit. You can notch your frame, but I'm not thinking you're trying to head down that path.

If you're really netting 3" or more you should be ok. If you net under 3" then you could be putting that DL into the frame rail on full stuff of passenger front.
The following users liked this post:
chaznad (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok awesome , no plans on wheeling. I just want this thing to drive like stock, smooth, no harsh bumps, no flightyness
anything else you guys can think of that will make this ride a perfect DD
also , right now I’m on 37” toyo RT’s, TOYOs AT style tire… Would going down to a 35” AT be a big difference in drivability or would I just be wasting money for something barely noticeable

Last edited by chaznad; 02-02-2023 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Going back to stock height from 4” and 37’s. What do I remove/swap?