Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Going from 32 inch to 33 inch tire worth it?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO
Olean, I would go with the lift then and get tires next year.. I have seen several threads with guys running 2.5 - 4" lift on stock tires until they can get the funds to upgrade tires, that will give you a more time to wear your out..

Yeah, we are not far from each other, as well as IcyFridge.. I am closer to Wellsboro, but; have been to Shinglehouse thats just across the border from you..
So you think I would be better off with the winch and bumber than going to 33's now? Either way I get the lfit this year.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, I would run the Rubi tires until they are worn out.

I do think that a winch and better bumpers are important to prevent damage and get you unstuck when necessary.

The order of my mods for my Rubi were the evap skid, bumper and winch and I have wheeled this way for one year including Moab with the stock suspension and tires.

I have since added a 1.75 BB and HighRock rear bumper for corner protection. I have not wheeled since I have added these items but a sno run is in the works but I don't expect any changes from my past experience.

When the Rubi tires are shot I plan on getting a 33 inch tire running stock wheels and installing my spacers. I am only going 33's as I want a little extra footprint for floatation when off road, but I dont want to regear. I already can go everywhere I want with 32 tires but 33 would have been nice a few places in Moab. Remember that you loose ground clearance when you air down so the 33 brings some of that back.

For what its worth I bought the spacers as they were on sale but it will be awhile until I get the new tires.

So I agree with your plan, take your time with the tires and dont forget the evap skid.

Have fun.

Last edited by goldtr8; 01-17-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for all your advice, I am leaning towards putting a winch and bumper on and waiting until next year on tires and wheels. I may upgrade the wheel this year to get a better stance. The only problem with that is I am locking myself into 17 inch rims but that is ok, seems to be a lot available in 17 inch tires.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah there are allot of choices with 17's.. I have my stock wheels with Spidertrax spacers.. When my 33's wear out I may step-up to 34's or 35's probably STT's again

Keep me posted and what bumper/winch you end up getting..

My x-mas present to my jeep (well me really) was an LOD Mid-width bumper and SmittyBilt XRC-Comp Winch w/Sytn rope.. So far no complaints & I love the way it looks and performs..
I am leaning toward rugged ridge stubby front bumber and smittybuilt 8000 pound winch. I know people say warn is the only way to go but I do all my wheeling at club events and jamborees so if my winch fails, I will have other people to help me out.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

32s w no lift

33x12.5 w Terraflex 2.5 coils

Old 01-17-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

I went from 32s to 33s and I'm pretty happy. I have a 2.5" lift, so my 32s were a tad on the small side under the wheel well. the 33s do a better job of filling out the wheel well. Also, the 33s are almost an inch wider, which looks better as well.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Cldhanso, I like ur setup with the 33's. I realy think 33's look good on 2 doors. Do you have any pics with the 33's and top down?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Heres some food for thought:

I'm not sure why you even need a lift..33's fit without a lift and you'll gain no addtional wheel travel. The only gain will be a higher center of gravity.

The reason for a lift are to gain clearance for larger tires, in the case of the 33's this isn't needed...If you where going 35's then by all means get the TF lift kit.

33's also fit on the stock wheels, no spacers needed.

So the only reason to lift a Jeep with 33's is to look cool..

Here's 33's on stock wheels with a leveling kit..

Btw...That stubby bumper and winch combo is on my list..
Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ifshinxs
Heres some food for thought:

I'm not sure why you even need a lift..33's fit without a lift and you'll gain no addtional wheel travel. The only gain will be a higher center of gravity.

The reason for a lift are to gain clearance for larger tires, in the case of the 33's this isn't needed...If you where going 35's then by all means get the TF lift kit.

33's also fit on the stock wheels, no spacers needed.

So the only reason to lift a Jeep with 33's is to look cool..

Here's 33's on stock wheels with a leveling kit..

Btw...That stubby bumper and winch combo is on my list..

A suspension lift gives you more belly ground clearance. I am aware that a lift is not needed to fit 33s but the goal of my build is to make it the most off road capable without sacrificing its DD duties. I believe that a RC 2.5 coil lift with shocks will also give me more travel than a stock setup. I do agree that raising the center of gravity is a drawback but I think what I gain in capability will outweigh that. Plus I dont want any rubbing issues when I disconnect and I think I will get that without the lift once I install 33s. Nice ride by the way, looks great.

Last edited by Olean NY Jeeper; 01-17-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

That's a awesome pic....great lighting makes that yellow pop!

Quick Reply: Going from 32 inch to 33 inch tire worth it?