Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Going from 32 inch to 33 inch tire worth it?

Old 01-17-2010, 04:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Going from 32 inch to 33 inch tire worth it?

I am contemplating getting tires and decided that I probably should go with 33s for a number of reasons. I have a 2 door. I dont plan on regearing for 2-3 years, if ever. I do not want tail gate spare problems and I ahve a dana 30 up front and do not want to stress and cause axles to bend.

Now for my Question. Would a jump from 32 inch KM's to 33 inch KM2's or Goodyears with Kevlar be worth it performance wise (off road).

I currently have 32 rubi tires. Will I notice a definite performance increase off road going to the 33's. I dont mind spending themoney if I see a difference but if not will keep the 32s for a while longer. I am especially interested in hearing from people who have gone from 32s to 33s but fo course would be happy to hear anyone's opinion.

I would keep the 32's for winter if I upgrade sizes.

Last edited by Olean NY Jeeper; 01-17-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question...can't wait to hear the reponses. When my Rubi needs tires am thinking either 33" or 35"...but wondering about gears as well!?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Junkie

I have 32 inch SRA's and I am moving up to 285/70R17 or 33x12.50R17 tires soon. The only real benefit other than .5" increased clearance is better looks and a wider footprint. Seeing as you have the rubicon tires already, I would just run them bald.

BTW - welcome to the forums fellow Western New Yorker.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
Olean, I went from 32's SRA's to 33x11.5x17 Cooper STT on stock wheels, huge differance in looks and performance even though 1/2" more clearance isn't much, the width helps as well .. I drive them year around and find they do well in all conditions. I too had some of the same concerns like re-gearing.. I did put a BB lift 2.5" and wheel spacers.. it just transformed my whole jeep..

I cant speak on the 32" KM2 to 33" KM2 .. but: would add if you are going to 33's why not try some other brand..

I guess If I was faced with your desicion it would come down to.. what other mods am I going to do in the future.. if you are looking at eventually getting it lifted, getting bumper/winch.. then yeah I would step-up a tire size.. If the answer is no.. then I would run yours until the rubber falls off.

I guess I should have put more info. Here are the plans, I will be putting a RC 2.5 inch coil lift on within 2 months. I want to put aftermarket stubby front bumber on and winch but I am either going to go with 33 inch tires or winch and bumper. I cannot afford both this year so I will either do tires this year and bumper and winch next year or vice versa. I have KM (old style) and I am thinking of going to KM2 (new style) The only other choice I am considering is the goodyears with kevlar.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
I have 32 inch SRA's and I am moving up to 285/70R17 or 33x12.50R17 tires soon. The only real benefit other than .5" increased clearance is better looks and a wider footprint. Seeing as you have the rubicon tires already, I would just run them bald.

BTW - welcome to the forums fellow Western New Yorker.
Thanks for the welcome. If you want to go wheeling ever just shoot me a message.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

A good friend in my local club went from his stock tires to 33" KM2, 1.5" spidertrax and 2.5 TF BB on his 2 door Rubi. It looks amazing and he can go anywhere those of us with 35" tires can go.

For the daily driver that gets wheeled once or twice a month, I think 33's are perfect for the 2 door (and 35's for the 4 door)
Good luck with the decesion...
Old 01-17-2010, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by shredX
A good friend in my local club went from his stock tires to 33" KM2, 1.5" spidertrax and 2.5 TF BB on his 2 door Rubi. It looks amazing and he can go anywhere those of us with 35" tires can go.

For the daily driver that gets wheeled once or twice a month, I think 33's are perfect for the 2 door (and 35's for the 4 door)
Good luck with the decesion...
I would agree that 33's look good on a slighlty lifted JK, 2 door. I think when people say that 33's look so small they are thinking on a 4 door.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Junkie

If you NEED tires, I'd go ahead and upgrade. If not, I don't think the 1/2" of ground clearance will help as much as they will cost. Hhowever the KM2 is a better performing tire over the KM in general.

Last edited by GoodysGotaCuda; 01-17-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
Olean, I had the same concept for mine and yeah it took me a year to do .. I too started with the tires, lift .. just put on winch & bumper.. now I am back to putting a new lift because I went with a BB instead of a coil and now it has sagged.. and I am not into stacking pucks.. So in the next week or so I will installing a Terafex 2.5 Coil lift.. it wil be here tues.

I am def doing the lift, I just cannot decide if it is worth it to go to 33s now or wait till next year. I think part of it is I just put the 32's on in Sepetmber last year but I got a very good deal on the tires. I would also keep them for winter so its not like they are going to waste.

BTW I just noticed you are also from my neck of the woods unless there are two grand canyons in PA. You live about an hour from me, correct? Anyway, if you ever want someone to go wheeling with let me know and shoot me a PM. I am a member or Erie Jeep People and do a couple of jeep Jamborees a year.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

This is exactley what I am doing. Just had a tereaflex 3" lift installed with rubi rims and tires. Just until I can get the cash for the wheels and tires that I want. I will post up picks soon! Good luck with what ever you do!

Quick Reply: Going from 32 inch to 33 inch tire worth it?