Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Going from 2.5 lift to 3.25 lift?

Old 10-14-2016, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from 2.5 lift to 3.25 lift?

I currently have a 2.5 lift on my 2012 wrangler unlimited automatic. Wanting to add 3/4" spacers to make it a 3.25" lift. After costing out the extra parts which is the spacers, front lower control arms & front drive shaft it would be roughly $1000. just seeing if the 3/4" is worth the cost. Would you be able to see the difference? Also is a front drive shaft really required? thanks for any input.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hbguerrero
I currently have a 2.5 lift on my 2012 wrangler unlimited automatic. Wanting to add 3/4" spacers to make it a 3.25" lift. After costing out the extra parts which is the spacers, front lower control arms & front drive shaft it would be roughly $1000. just seeing if the 3/4" is worth the cost. Would you be able to see the difference? Also is a front drive shaft really required? thanks for any input.
What do you hope to accomplish with the extra 3/4 inches? What size tires do you have now and are you going to run larger tires with the bigger lift? Are you having rubbing issues now? Are you just looking to make it look a little more lifted or are you looking for off road performance? I personally just installed a 3.5 inch lift so I can run 35 inch tires.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

What reason in your head makes you want to add the 3/4" spacer?
Old 10-14-2016, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Mainly just for looks don't do much off roading. Im running 35" (no rubbing issues) and in my opinion it looks stuffed. just thought 3/4 spacers would help since some 3.25" kits come with the spacers. thought it would be cheap just to add the spacers but guess not worth it if having to buy all the other parts. that's why I was asking if there was a noticeable difference in 2.5" and 3.25" lift
Old 10-14-2016, 02:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

What it comes down to is that : it's your jeep. If you want it to be a bit taller, go for it.

For your questions, it's all a bunch of gray areas. Will you be able to see the difference from the little bit of added height? Yes. Will you like it better? No clue.

Onroad only, you may have no issues with the driveshaft. Hard to tell. Flex it afterward and check clearances. It's actually something that you should be crawling underneath and watching even now. (you are checking that tcase joint, right?)

The caster will be a little lower, causing the steering to be a bit more flighty than it is now. Drive it will the added height and see what you think. If you don't like the steering and want to correct it, you can get arms, or even look at cheaper drop brackets instead. (you don't have cams now, correct?)

Both axles will be offset a bit further to one side. I'll assume you have a rear trackbar bracket now? If not, plan on getting one. If you choose to center the front axle, look at an adj trackbar.

The front draglink and trackbar will be running at steeper angles, and you will be getting into the range where people add draglink flips (or cheaper drop pitmans). Research it!!

All brakelines will be stretched a bit tigher. Onroad only, maybe not a problem. But be sure and check them. (You can unhook some lines, and you can make brackets for like $5 at home depot.)

Do you have longer shocks now? Stock shocks with extension brackets?
Old 10-14-2016, 02:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a 1" body lift may be the way to go for you. No changes to drive line angles but would "unstuff" the wheels. And a LOT cheaper. IMO.

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-14-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Some flat fenders would be the way to go, it will really give you the look of a big lift. The less you do to the suspension the better off you will be.

Quick Reply: Going from 2.5 lift to 3.25 lift?