Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gobi and Yakima Compatibility

Old 11-10-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gobi and Yakima Compatibility

If this is in the wrong place I apologize. I'm new...

I've searched and searched but cannot find a definitive answer of whether a Yakima SkyBox will mount to a 4dr Gobi Stealth. I've done my homework and have seen that Gobi claims compatibility with Yakima products but haven't seen it yet. If anyone has any experience with this or runs this setup I would greatly appreciate a photo or two before I drop 15 hundo.

I've seen rails mounted directly to the fiberglass hardtop for use with Yakima mounts and crossbars... But, I have serious reservations about the structural integrity of a fiberglass top with a 300-400lb loaded SkyBox going down the freeway. Doesn't pass my sanity check... Which is why I like the Gobi. It's hard mounted and seems like it would be better and a more secure option. Anyway, thanks in advance!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Bump.

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used a Thule kayak stacker on my gobi rack, and could check that my ski rack fits, but
I had no problems with the stacker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-594285885.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	388483

Last edited by horrocks007; 11-13-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2 door JK with a Gobi Stealth rack. I don't know the answer to your questions but have some information that might help. The round bars that are welded in to accept Yakima clamps are flush with the rear and sides of the rack. They are approximately 24" apart.

Gobi sells a bolt-on bar that can be positioned anywhere forward of the front welded bar. This would allow you to have your forward mounting point closer to the light bar. Even with the Stealth light bar it sits a couple of inches higher than the mounting bars do. Depending on the Yakima mounts they'll need to stand high enough off the mounting bars for the bottom of the Skybox to clear the light bar assuming that the Skybox needs to extend over the windshield (not sure if necessary on the 4 door).

Anyway, I love my Gobi rack! It's much nicer than I expected it to be from internet photos.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DougM
Depending on the Yakima mounts they'll need to stand high enough off the mounting bars for the bottom of the Skybox to clear the light bar assuming that the Skybox needs to extend over the windshield (not sure if necessary on the 4 door).
This pretty much about nails my concerns on the head. To me it looks like the recon light bar would be in the way but I like the look of the stealth anyway(cleaner lines). And the other is the crossbar spread on the JKU model. My SkyBox has adjustable clamps which could be helpful. As long as the spread of the Gobi crossbars doesn't exceed the max adjustability of the box latches.

It looks like I'll probably have to shoot an email off to a vendor to see if they can provide any insight. I was hoping that maybe someone on the board was already running this setup but oh well. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Gobi and Yakima Compatibility