Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gobi Stealth Rack & LOD Bumper Compatability?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gobi Stealth Rack & LOD Bumper Compatability?

Does anybody know if the http://www.gobijeep.com/JKL.htm and the LOD Gen2 Signature series bumper are compatible? Anybody have a pic of both installed?

Thanks!

Last edited by Robar; 05-04-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

went by the jeep dealer, they have some Gobi racks installed on some jeeps in the showroom. One of the jeeps has a Mopar offroad bumper on it. The Gobi rack snakes behind the bumper and attaches to the frame with a bracket. The bracket is stacked on top of the the bumper's bracket that also attaches to the rear frame rails.

Here is a picture of the LOD Signature series bumper from Eddie's install instructions:

Seems like the Gobi rack bracket would just stack on top of Lod's bumper bracket the same way the one in the showroom did with the Mopar bumper. Whether the height of the bumper is exactly matched and the "foot" of the support column on top of the bumper will work, I don't know.

Here is a photo of what I mean:
Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 AM
JK Junkie

I think Eddie has a body lift on his but i'm not sure..

I do want to add the rack to my Jeep as well

and I do have the LoD rear G2 full width

I still think that it will fit from looking at my bumper!

is this rack drill free? meaning no drilling required?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is drill free,and sits just above the rear bumper not directly on it
Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default drill free

the things you see on the rear quaterpanel that look lik they could be bolts are adjustable screws with rubber feet just for lateral support. As seen here:

It just sits on the bumper, and is bolted to the frame with that bracket you see in the photo I posted. In the front, its mounted to the windshield frame with a bracket that uses factory bolt locations. See photo:

Old 12-23-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default It works!

Ok, I ended up buying a Expedition One tire carrier and bumper. They DO work together, but you have to cut a 1" notch out of the Gobi bracket that connects the rack down tube pinch seam support down to the frame. I'll post some photos later. I would imagine that most bumpers made in this general way would be compatible with a little modification.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Good to know about the Expedition One bumper. Since The Gobi fit on almost every rear bumpers.

Originally Posted by BlueBruin
Ok, I ended up buying a Expedition One tire carrier and bumper. They DO work together, but you have to cut a 1" notch out of the Gobi bracket that connects the rack down tube pinch seam support down to the frame. I'll post some photos later. I would imagine that most bumpers made in this general way would be compatible with a little modification.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default update

Yeah, it should fit most bumpers as long as they are not higher than the pinch seam where the down tube "foot" sits on the top of bumper. On the stock bumper there is a bit of a gap (no actual weight is resting on the bumper since its plastic) but on the E1, it fits with no room to spare. It seems totally flush.

Here are some photos I took after the stock bumper was removed so you can clearly see the Gobi bracket that supports the part where the down tube meets the down tube by tieing it to the frame.

I put a 2x4 under the Gobi rack to support it since I wasn't sure what would happen when I unbolted the bracket and the rack was still up there on the jeep. Turns out it was no big deal and I removed the wood.

Here is a photo of the Expedition one bumper slid mostly into place. The plate that mates up to the frame rail is not as far forward as it can go because part of the internal structure of the E1 bumper is hitting the Gobi bracket.

Here is the section of the Gobi bracket I cut out.

I checked it against the bumper before installing everything again.

Here is the finished product with both installed.

Last photo, you can see here how the foot of the Gobi rack sits directly on the E1 bumper.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know if this rack is compatible with the AEV Rear Bumper?

Quick Reply: Gobi Stealth Rack & LOD Bumper Compatability?