Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gloss or textured finish?

Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gloss or textured finish?

Opinions please on pros/cons of textured vs. gloss paint finish.

I received a tire carrier that was supposed to be textured, but got gloss. Now I'm debating whether to keep the gloss so I don't have to wait for the exchange.

Thanks for input.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd say exchange it. It's worth waiting for what you wanted.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Depends

I guess that would depend on how you have the rest of your vehicle

Lets say your front bumber...is it gloss? How about your rock guards? Also, when you say your tire carrier are you including your rear bumper? Or is this a Or Fab tire carrier type?

All these things I think should match. Well, maybe not the rock guards if you plan to use them as step ups then those should be textured no matter what. For my taste I like the textered or semigloss if available. I don't like things that are too shiney on my jeep.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id keep it.. whats the difference? If you use you jeep like it was intended its all going to get rattle canned black eventually anyways..
Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Get what you want. Its your Jeep.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

you can buy rattle can texture paint, which as the above poster mentioned you'll need to re-apply anyway

I say this just to avoid the delays and costs to ship a new one and the old one back.

Up to you though, your money and your Jeep. If you don't like gloss do what you gotta do imo
Old 09-25-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

The cost is the same, the vendor is paying all the shipping costs for the exchange.

As for what I already have, the bumpers are textured, and rock rails are the stock rubicon units.
My fender flares are stock, but I have smooth finish Bushwacker flares in the garage that will be installed with my next set of tires (why don't they sell these in textured finish anymore??).

In a few weeks I will begin putting a LOT of miles on the jeep... all off road, but open dirt & gravel road type stuff, not trees/rocks.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by horwitzs
The cost is the same, the vendor is paying all the shipping costs for the exchange.

As for what I already have, the bumpers are textured, and rock rails are the stock rubicon units.
My fender flares are stock, but I have smooth finish Bushwacker flares in the garage that will be installed with my next set of tires (why don't they sell these in textured finish anymore??).

In a few weeks I will begin putting a LOT of miles on the jeep... all off road, but open dirt & gravel road type stuff, not trees/rocks.
Go textured. Demand an exchange.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get what you paid for. And get them to take some money off for the inconvenience. If they don't get your money back. That's what I would do.

Quick Reply: gloss or textured finish?