Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Give up on 15" wheels?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give up on 15" wheels?

So.. I thought I had it all figured out.

I bought a Pro Comp Series 97 wheel (97-5873 15X8 5X5 3.75" BS). It was very tight but it did fit after I filed down one little spot on the caliper - similar to what others here have done.

Confident that the wheel would work I bought a BFG AT 33x10.50r15 and had it mounted and balanced. The tire shop used those little stick-on square weights that go on the inside of the wheel - not on the rim.

And yes, they rub the outside edge caliper.

They moved the weights to the inside rim of the wheel and the wheel still won't turn freely - it hits something, too. I guess they could put all the weight on the outside edge of the rim, however..

Also... With 3.75" backspacing the tire is sticking out well past the fender - it looks to be in excess of two inches up front (the only place I mounted the wheel to test). I'd rather they be tucked up a bit more inside - in a perfect world the inside edge of the tire would be about where the inside of the stock tire is and the extra width would all be on the outside.

Well, unfortunately, I don't live in a perfect world.

So.. Here is how I see the 15" wheel issue:

Pros:
Ability to mount the tire I want: BFG 33" Class C tires.
The tires for 15" wheels are cheaper than for larger wheels.
Looks "right" to me with the radio of sidewall to wheel.

Cons:
Balancing the wheels appears to be a lost cause unless i use some sort of "inside the wheel" option.
The tires stick out more than I like.
Dealing with the rubbing is about to make my head explode.

So.. Opinion time...

Is there some other wheel that would work better? Or do I just give up on the 15" wheels and get a 16" instead. I'd not be able to get a Class C tire from BFG for that size wheel - is there another similar tire available?

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...74&postcount=3

Info on backspacing, 15" wheels, spacers, etc. One thing I have not seen is a list of the different balancing options. Pros/cons for each might be nice to add.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finding range C tires in a 16" wheel isnt real easy. I have some, but the are 265/75R16, which is a 32x10.50.

There are people running those wheels in that size. I would take a closer look to see where else they are rubbing.

Oh, and I ground a bit off my wheels. They are 16x8 Series 97's with 4.25" of BS. The hole stick out inside the wheel some, and they had about 1mm of clearance from hitting the caliper. So I ground them a bit to make sure they would not ever rub.

They stick about 1/2" outside the fenders, which I think is perfect.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 15" rims with 37" tires have a TON (stacks double high in spots) of the stick-on weights in the inside only and no clearance issues. I think it depends where you put them. I don't really have an shortage of space that far out. The tight spacing is right around the caliper closer to the center of the wheel flange.

Also the sticking out past the flenders is a function of backspacing, not wheel diameter. You will have the same issue with any wheel with similar backspacing. Not really a way around it to run wide tires and not rub.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LemonTwist
My 15" rims with 37" tires have a TON (stacks double high in spots) of the stick-on weights in the inside only and no clearance issues. I think it depends where you put them. I don't really have an shortage of space that far out. The tight spacing is right around the caliper closer to the center of the wheel flange.

Also the sticking out past the flenders is a function of backspacing, not wheel diameter. You will have the same issue with any wheel with similar backspacing. Not really a way around it to run wide tires and not rub.
What I think he meant was that with 15" wheels, the max backspacing you can have is 3.75". With 16's and 17" you can have 4.25-4.5" of BS, moving the tires farther in, and you still have plenty of clearance.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 PM
JK Junkie

Well I have 15" Daytona steelies with 4" backspace and all I did was grind the corners of the caliper and it is working great and with 4" BS it only sticks out around 1 3/4" to 2"

Old 03-25-2009, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john smack
Well I have 15" Daytona steelies with 4" backspace and all I did was grind the corners of the caliper and it is working great and with 4" BS it only sticks out around 1 3/4" to 2"
Nice looking Jeep!

Are those 33x12.50's?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Junkie

33 x 12.5 15C BFG A/T's on 15" Cragar soft 8's. bought from Discounttiredirect.com
wheels have 4" Backspacing and never rubbed. The weights are the stick on type.
(the JK is at stock ride height in these photos)

Last edited by racer83l; 03-25-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

I have the 15" Cragar Soft 8's with the 4" backspacing too. I did grind the front calipers a bit when I put them on. I also have the inside weights with no problems.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

they are 35"s

Quick Reply: Give up on 15" wheels?