Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Give me a break!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Give me a break!

Ok so my story starts about a month ago when i was supposed to install my 4" Rough Country lift with my neighbor. My first frustration was that he kept pushing back the date one more week, one more week. We finally installed the week after the 4th of July which wasn't too bad. Of course there had to be a problem during the installation, my pitman arm wont come loose so that we can install the one provided by Rough Country. Here is my first question, is it completely necessary to replace the pitman arm. If so, any advice on getting the stock one out? Next was tires, i had ordered tires 4th of July weekend so i was eagerly waiting to go pick them up the day after the lift was installed. I went to get my tires installed ( 35" Kumho KL71 MT) only to realize that the company never even placed the order for my tires from their distributor. At this point i was merely flustered only because i know the guy that owns the tire store (Let's just call it Rick's). This guy that owns Rick's was going to give me spacers and install my pitman arm so i couldn't be too mad after all he is helping me out with some discounts on the tires as well. Here is my second question, with stock 16" rims and 35" tires do i NEED spacers? And will they rub? He had told me $880 for 4 tires installed and then i would buy the 5th spare. Of course as this is happening the owner of Rick's that i know goes on vacation this week and won't be back till next week. I talked to other people working at Rick's and they can not find where in the world he got the price $880 because they can't even get those tires for that cheap. I called around to different tire stores in my area to try and find a deal. I think i found one yesterday. $1133 (including tax, installation, and balance) for 4 BFG All-Terrain A/T KO and then i would buy the fifth for $255. Take into consideration that with the BFG deal i would have to buy spacers if necessary and find some place to install my pitman arm also if necessary.
Sorry for all the ranting but i need some advice on the whole situation. Money is a big issue right now, i don't really feel like throwing out $1488 for spacers and all 5 BFG tires. And then another God knows how much just to install a simple pitman arm.

Thanks for reading,
Cody
Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need to install the pitman arm in the kit. You'll need the correct socket to remove the nut (33MM, I think, it may be 32mm), then use a tool called a pitman arm puller to yank it off. It will not want to come off, but with the correct tool, it will.

I believe that any tire wider than the stock 10" or so will need spacers to clear the suspension arms.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
You will need to install the pitman arm in the kit. You'll need the correct socket to remove the nut (33MM, I think, it may be 32mm), then use a tool called a pitman arm puller to yank it off. It will not want to come off, but with the correct tool, it will.

I believe that any tire wider than the stock 10" or so will need spacers to clear the suspension arms.
We had the 33mm socket and a pitman arm puller it would not come loose! 200lb man and all his might couldn't that baby out. also we had air compressed tools and they couldn't it out either.

thanks for the input
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soak it with WD-40. Next, tighten the puller down as much as you can, then strike it with a hammer a couple times to break the "seal" - repeat as needed. You should find that the puller screw turns a bit more after each hammering until it pops off.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're still going to try to pull the pitman arm yourself you might try heating the pitman arm a little with a torch while it's under tension from the puller, not too much though, you dont want to damage the steering box seals. I've also had luck putting the puller on and tightening it and then tapping on the arm with a hammer and tapping on the head of the puller bolt. Tapping not whacking. Applying a little heat usually works though.
About the wheel spacers, that all depends on the backspacing of your new wheels and the width of your new tires. Way to much input needed to make that determination with the data provided. Check the modified section, there're probably several threads dealing with spacers.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for all the advice on the pitman arm i am going to try again
Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Smerny
Here is my second question, with stock 16" rims and 35" tires do i NEED spacers? And will they rub?
How wide are these 35's? I'd be inclined to say that they will rub, but you can always just put them on and find out if. If they do, just don't make sharp turns till the spacers come in.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Rough Country tells you what backspacing you'll need to run 35's with that lift!! It's in the specs online, it's in the install instructions you used. Why are you having issues over it? Get new rims, or get the spacers, or rub, it's your choice...

Specs:
• Part #: 681S (4door) :: 682S (2door)
• Install Time: 4 - 5 hours
• Wheel Backspacing: 4 ½"
• Recommended Tire Size: 35x12.50
This suspension system was developed using a 35X12.50X17 tire with 4.5” to 4.75” of back spacing on aftermarket wheels. Stock wheels can be used with this kit with up to a 35x12.5 tire, but different tire manufactures designs may result in a tire width that could result in contact with the lower control arm and/or front sway bar link in a sharp turn. Please consult with your tire and wheel expert before purchasing. Also note that if wider tires are desired, offset wheels will be required.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Rough Country tells you what backspacing you'll need to run 35's with that lift!! It's in the specs online, it's in the install instructions you used. Why are you having issues over it? Get new rims, or get the spacers, or rub, it's your choice...
thats not my main problem, im pissed because im getting screwed by the tire place and going on 2 weeks with stock tires and a 4 inch lift
Old 07-20-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Smerny
thats not my main problem, im pissed because im getting screwed by the tire place and going on 2 weeks with stock tires and a 4 inch lift
Try Discount Tire Direct (site sponsor) They have good prices and a good rep here, and a site discount, of course.

Quick Reply: Give me a break!