Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gibson split outlet exhaust on 2012 3.6

Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a best pipe?

I have that split Gibson exhaust and never heard of a best pipe.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by porschebreath
I have that split Gibson exhaust and never heard of a best pipe.
I believe thats just a straight pipe.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pooneej

I believe thats just a straight pipe.
Yes it's a pipe used to replace a cat or resonator.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

pulled the trigger this morning. ill let you guys know how it comes out. i have a few tweaks in mind that may improve the sound for the better if need be..
Old 05-21-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

got it delivered today and put it on in the rain. sounds pretty good from inside, not toooo ricey but not growling either. I'm going to let it break in a little before making any true judgements. right tip hangs about 1/2" lower than left so when its dry, ill address that. install wasn't terrible, just make sure you have a breaker bar or a long plumbers wrench for leverage to take the stock one off the hangers. i threw some grease on the gibsons hangers to make it go in easily and make removal easier if need be. if the sound stays the way it is, then my next step will be to remove the factory resonator and run straight through to the muffler to see the outcome. if that doesn't work either, then ill put a glasspack in the resonators location to see if that helps any. but as of right now, i am not unsatisfied with my purchase.

side note: driving it for 20 minutes, i started to smell something burning and when i got to my destination the outside had a weird chemical burn smell to it. is that the muffler breaking in? I've done exhausts on all of my previous cars and never had the smell.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have only done 2 prior exhausts, but both of the ones I did had a chemical smell until it burned off. I seem to remember being told that it has something to do with the mandrel bending process or something. Never tried this particular exhaust, however
Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

ok so, incase anyone cares I'm going to update you guys on my Gibson on the 3.6. Although i did love the sound with the stock piping set-up, i still noticed a little ricey of a sound at times. So, i figured that i would chop the resonator and clamp on a straight through pipe (test pipe) and cross my fingers for a better sounding exhaust. well, boy was that a dumb idea! it got completely unbearable and drone caused me to hate driving on the highway. i lost all engine braking, low end torque was depleted, and the rasp gave the v-tec guys a hard-on. so, i had an idea and wanted to try getting a glass pack in that spot. after lots of research, i decided to scratch that and get the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator welded in there to kill the rasp, regain some back pressure, and hopefully tame the beast. well that ended up being the icing on the cake! exhaust sound PERFECT now and has zero drone ant all speeds and rpm's. its quiet but rumbles when you want it to. for the money, i think that this is the best combination for sound and aesthetics. i remove the tips when i wheel and it has plenty of clearance.

Gibson stainless = 375
Vibrant resonator= 100
professional weld= 100

total = 575

best bang for the buck imho! its not for everybody but i think that this combo would change a couple minds. ill try to get a clean sounding video tomorrow to give a better idea.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by notsoricer
ok so, incase anyone cares I'm going to update you guys on my Gibson on the 3.6. Although i did love the sound with the stock piping set-up, i still noticed a little ricey of a sound at times. So, i figured that i would chop the resonator and clamp on a straight through pipe (test pipe) and cross my fingers for a better sounding exhaust. well, boy was that a dumb idea! it got completely unbearable and drone caused me to hate driving on the highway. i lost all engine braking, low end torque was depleted, and the rasp gave the v-tec guys a hard-on. so, i had an idea and wanted to try getting a glass pack in that spot. after lots of research, i decided to scratch that and get the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator welded in there to kill the rasp, regain some back pressure, and hopefully tame the beast. well that ended up being the icing on the cake! exhaust sound PERFECT now and has zero drone ant all speeds and rpm's. its quiet but rumbles when you want it to. for the money, i think that this is the best combination for sound and aesthetics. i remove the tips when i wheel and it has plenty of clearance.

Gibson stainless = 375
Vibrant resonator= 100
professional weld= 100

total = 575

best bang for the buck imho! its not for everybody but i think that this combo would change a couple minds. ill try to get a clean sounding video tomorrow to give a better idea.

I wonder if the resonator would take care of the drone on my Dynomax Split Rear Exhaust. I have the same problem with the highway driving. I may have to look into this.

Last edited by 08BlackX; 08-10-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled
Old 08-14-2012, 04:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08BlackX

I wonder if the resonator would take care of the drone on my Dynomax Split Rear Exhaust. I have the same problem with the highway driving. I may have to look into this.
It most likely will!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notsoricer
It most likely will!
Any chance we can get a sound clip??

Quick Reply: Gibson split outlet exhaust on 2012 3.6