Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gibson or Rugged Ridge exhaust

Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the rear muffler design, the standard one, not the off road version. It was a simple install with very few tools needed. The hardest part was getting the old exhaust off the hangers. Being in Tennessee I don't suffer from the elements like the Northern states so the nuts on the clamps were easy to get off. The two issues I had with the installation were: 1)The clamps don't clamp down enough to get a good seal at the joints with the pipe going into the muffler being quite loose still even with the clamp closed all the way down and 2)The rods going into the rubber hangers don't have any kind of head on them that would prevent them from slipping out of the hangers. I do like the way it sounds though and can't wait to take it out tomorrow morning.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got the gibson single outlet as a gift, really like it. I would prefer the MBRP though just for the sound and quality so you made a good choice. Also I did think the gibson was a bit loud inside but on the outside it is a very throaty exhaust note that sounds good! I hope you enjoy the MBRP and post up some pics of it installed
Old 04-09-2010, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Took "Yoda" to PT this morning and all I can say is WOW!!!! When you sit at an idle you can hear and feel a little rumble. But when you get on it, the combination of the CAI and the exhaust really open up and you can really hear and feel it. Not as loud as a V-8 with a system and not that tinny whine from a 4 banger but something in between. Then when you level out to normal cruising speed you go back to that low rumble again. I LOVE IT!!! Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to get the exhaust system connections welded. Any suggestions?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:55 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tazman3469
Took "Yoda" to PT this morning and all I can say is WOW!!!! When you sit at an idle you can hear and feel a little rumble. But when you get on it, the combination of the CAI and the exhaust really open up and you can really hear and feel it. Not as loud as a V-8 with a system and not that tinny whine from a 4 banger but something in between. Then when you level out to normal cruising speed you go back to that low rumble again. I LOVE IT!!! Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to get the exhaust system connections welded. Any suggestions?
If you get them welded, make sure the guy uses stainless wire (that is if you have a SS exhaust system). Take advantage of the fact that Jeep gave us a high quality material for the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Gibson or Rugged Ridge exhaust