Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gibson Headers

Old 12-14-2009, 03:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by captjay
ok so what would be the diference between offroad use and onroad use headers?
The off-road use header kit eliminates the catalytic converters, which isn't road legal in most states.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Federal law not legal in any state
Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

I got the ceramic ones. Install was easy. I wasn't crazy about modding #4 cylinder's ignition wire boot to a 45 degree; so I bought new wires. I never noticed much of a driving chage with headers on cars I've built up, but I noticed a nice suddle diffrence with these. Low end torque improved a little, and my fuel eco went up a couple mpg.
Besides the headers I have a magna flow muffler installed. and a Airaid exhaust intake. Now that I have a supercharger it really helps the exhaust flow.
The only concern I can announce is that you DO have to check the torque every once and awhile. But this is true with any part like this.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:00 AM
JK Newbie

Default Heat problems

Good morning from Germany,
first of all sorry for my bad English, but I hope it is still understandable.
A few days ago I received from 4WD my Gibson Headers for my 2008 JK Unlimited. I have the Gibson CatBack Exhaust already since one year and it sounds great and works fine. After I installed the Headers I have huge problems with heat in the engine bay. Altthough the ignition cable which was delivered with the Headers was installed another ignition cable nearly melted and caused some electric problems. Doesanybody have similar experience or an advice to avoid in future these problems?

Thank you
Old 01-30-2010, 02:49 AM
JK Junkie

Headers will often cause heat issues. I don't have the Gibson headers, but another brand which I had a heat barrier coating applied before installation. This will hold the heat in the pipe better aiding performance and also help keep heat out of the engine bay. In the states here there are plenty of powder coating companies that will apply these coatings or you can do it yourself using a product such as Black Satin.

Additionally, running headers will cause you to run a little lean, so upping your Octane level will moderately reduce your exhaust gas temperatures. This is caused by better cylinder evacuation and cleaner air which burns the fuel more efficiently.

I hope that helps a bit and your english was every bit as good as some people here that speak it as a first language.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

i did the CAI and the exhaust but it hink im going to stay away from the headers. A minivan is only designed to go but so fast. I do get better milage with the CAI and i love the sound but squeezing power outta this thing its just not going to happen.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you having issues with the header bolts not staying tight, look into getting a set of stage 8 locking header bolts. They can be a PITA to install, but never come loose once they are tight. Had them on my '04 Cobra. I'd recommend them for EVERYONE buying headers. Antiseize and stage 8 locking header bolts. Just do a google search for them. Stage 8 is the company, not the grade of bolt or anything.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Hello thanks for your help, but at moment it is not possible to drive the Jeep with the Gibson Headers.

The guys in the garage tried nearly everything, Heat wrap around the Headers, heat wrap around the spark plug wires, new AEV Hood, nothing worked so far. After a few kilometers the heat is so intensive that the spark plug wires on the right side are melting away.

At moment the only chance we see is to take the Headers out. :-(
Old 05-28-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would the Gibson (Ceramic) headers be better regarding overheating the engine bay and melting parts, or would you still have to wrap them? BTW I'm looking for a set of ceramic headers, does anyone have a pair they're willing to sell?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the Ceramic headers paired with a Magnaflow muffler for almost 2 years now. I like it......sort of.

The performance gains are there but minimal. I really like the sound.

If you have or plan to get these headers here are things that will help you.

As mentioned before in this thread get some Stage 8 bolts for the collector or you'll be tightening them every 1500 miles. (lost a couple of bolts on the tail before going stage 8)

Stage 8 8950 Collector Locking Nut and Bolt Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

HEAT HEAT HEAT. These things got hot and WILL burn your spark plug boots and wires. Your battery box will melt as well as your coil if you don't get that heat "shield" in the right position. (my coil didn't melt, but I met a guy that claims his did).

Wires:

Accel makes a wire set with ceramic boots and high temp wires. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll need a 45 for the #4.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-170902C

These wires are NOT enough as I recently found out. My #4 burned up. It melted inside the boot.

SO you'll want some boot protectors like these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My next step is to wrap the headers. I found a kit with everything I should need.
Amazon.com: DEI 010110 Black HT Coating Exhaust Wrap Kit: Automotive

There you go. If you're going to go with these headers, get protected.

Quick Reply: Gibson Headers