Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gibson Headers

Old 05-29-2007, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gibson Headers

Has anyone installed these yet and if so, give us a reveiw.
Jim
Old 05-29-2007, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

i second that, im very interest in these and havent heard anything as fat as feedback yet
Old 05-31-2007, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone even bought/ordered these yet?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, one more time to the top....before I start installing the ones setting on my living room floor. If someone has already done this I would like to hear about any problems or things to look for. I have installed many headers so I know each vehichle usually has it's own unique problems. If not, I guess I'll let you all know after this weekend what to expect in the install and results.
Jim
Old 06-08-2007, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Where did you buy them? PM me if it's a non-supporting vendor. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

RedRockJK, pm sent.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

same here, i would like a PM... and definitly let me know how install goes with these
Old 06-08-2007, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

im highly interested! install pictures, soundclip, the works

Which coating did you buy them in?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I got them (GP 403 chrome) on this weekend. It took about 4 1/2 hours and was only moderately difficult. If you follow the directions that come with them you will do fine. The directions tell you to unhook the steering shaft and drop out of your way and you will be tempted to not but do it anyway, because you will before it is over with. On the passenger side it will help if you unclip the plastic mounting clip for the heater hoses to give them independent movement and more flexibilty to move out of your way. Probably one of the more difficult parts is unbolting the old manifold to exhaust pipe flange bolts. There is a little bracket that keeps the nut from turning and it has a tendency to bend and let the nut spin and you can't get a wrench on it for the little bracket. To avoid this put a good amount of penetrant oil on them ahead of time. Lots of stuff to cut and skin your arms and hands up, but that seems to be normal when installing headers. There is a heat sheild that Gibson has in the kit that hose clamps to one of the header tubes on the drivers side to protect the coil pack, I did not like the clamp method, so I welded an ear on it with a hole to bolt it to the coil pack mounting bolt...much cleaner look. They changed the at idle exhaust note to a slightly louder and deeper tone. I have a Magnaflow mounted under the cab and it still does not make much noise at all, sounds good when you step on it. As far as performance goes, I can feel a little better torque on acceleration, only got 100 miles on it and the computer is still adapting, but it feels better each time I get in it. I think with the custom programmed Unichip from Hesco, Magnaflow, Airaid and Gibson headers, I got all there is to get out of the 3.8 until someone comes out with a performance cam for it. The 3.8 has all I need, it is a lot stronger than when it was stock, it accelerates great and holds speed well. If you get on it hard, you are shifting very fast at 5500 RPM...no race car, but more than enough power. I can't really report on fuel economy change at this time. I don't have any sound clips and don't have a way to get it and didn't take any pictures during install.
Jim
Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the report Jim. I'm still considering getting a set, I'd love to see if someone will do a dyno before/after and post the results. That would be a great test.

Quick Reply: Gibson Headers