Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gibson exhaust with K&N CAI = loss in power and drop in gas mileage

Old 03-12-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gibson exhaust with K&N CAI = loss in power and drop in gas mileage

Hello all, I just recently bought an '09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X all stock (wife wanted it, which I was like, HELL YA!! ). So anyways I have been reading up on this forum quit a bit and there is a ton of good information on here. This is my first post and I want to know what you guys think of my situation.

The first mod I did to the Jeep was add a K&N CAI, took it for a test drive and noticed nice gains in power off the line and through out the RPM range. I also noticed an increase in my gas mile. Next I added a Gibson signal exhaust and the result was unexpected. Infact, I got worse gas mileage than stock exhaust and the HP dropped considerably in all RPM range. I called Gibson and they told me to buy a programer to reprogram the computer so it can compensate for the improved airflow and that they would not take it back on return. They also said when they dyno'd the exhaust, it was on an all stock Jeep and they did notice Hp gains. Do you think I should buy the programmer and take a chance to see if it works? Has anyone else done this? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran the Gibson split rear for a year and sold it, much happier with the stock muffler.

At idle the Gibson sounds pretty bitchin', but it's way to loud in general. I also noticed a loss in low end power.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:33 PM
JK Junkie

Shouldn't be more than a nominal change one way or the other. Chambered mufflers are made more for sound than performance, but again I don't believe it should make much of a difference.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad lost like .2 mpg with his Gibson and airraid cai.

You do lose low end power so maybe you're revving higher?

Quick Reply: Gibson exhaust with K&N CAI = loss in power and drop in gas mileage