Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gibson Exauhst Install w/Pics

Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gibson Exauhst Install w/Pics

As promised in my last thread I am sending some pics of the Before/During/After install of my new Gibson Dual outlet exauhst on my 09 JK.

Tools needed:
1/4 Ratchet
15mm deep well socket
prybar
WD40

Here is a quick pick of the tools needed, as you can see not much. The entore install took my 15 min. I did have access to a lift to make it a little easier and give you guys some better pics. You could probably man handle the exauhst hangers, but I am lazy and had a big F*%#ing tire spoon laying around and it worked like a charm!

Here is the before shot you should all be used too.

First thing you need to do is give the two hangers and the banjo bolt a squirt of WD40. Here are some quick shots of them.

Once that is done use the 15mm deep well to remove the banjo bolt, the band will not come off as it is attached to the muffler pipe, just remove the bolt. Then use the pry bar to remove the muffler tabs from the rubber hangers and the muffler simply slides right off. Install is the exact opposite using the supplied C clamp (15mm again). I didnt cover the tips as i had put them on before the install which i recomend as there isnt alot of room to tighten the clamp bolts (10mm) once installed.

A shot of the supplied C clamp

A few shots of the completed muffler!!!!

In summary everything fit perfectly with no forcing or messaging neccassary, and just for all wondering the seat-of-the-pants dyno says there is a little something for the effort, but if nothing else the sound makes it worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so you all know I donated my used (97 miles) factory exauhst to another JK owner i ran into at the shop. His American JK had an intimate encounter with a German boulder.....who said foriegn relations are dead!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 09rubicon; 11-18-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up and thanks for sharing!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

looks great!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
As promised in my last thread I am sending some pics of the Before/During/After install of my new Gibson Dual outlet exauhst on my 09 JK.

Tools needed:
1/4 Ratchet
15mm deep well socket
prybar
WD40

Here is a quick pick of the tools needed, as you can see not much. The entore install took my 15 min. I did have access to a lift to make it a little easier and give you guys some better pics. You could probably man handle the exauhst hangers, but I am lazy and had a big F*%#ing tire spoon laying around and it worked like a charm!

Here is the before shot you should all be used too.

First thing you need to do is give the two hangers and the banjo bolt a squirt of WD40. Here are some quick shots of them.

Once that is done use the 15mm deep well to remove the banjo bolt, the band will not come off as it is attached to the muffler pipe, just remove the bolt. Then use the pry bar to remove the muffler tabs from the rubber hangers and the muffler simply slides right off. Install is the exact opposite using the supplied C clamp (15mm again). I didnt cover the tips as i had put them on before the install which i recomend as there isnt alot of room to tighten the clamp bolts (10mm) once installed.

A shot of the supplied C clamp

A few shots of the completed muffler!!!!

In summary everything fit perfectly with no forcing or messaging neccassary, and just for all wondering the seat-of-the-pants dyno says there is a little something for the effort, but if nothing else the sound makes it worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so you all know I donated my used (97 miles) factory exauhst to another JK owner i ran into at the shop. His American JK had an intimate encounter with a German boulder.....who said foriegn relations are dead!!!!!!!!!
Nice, it made me remember when mine was new, hehe. I would spray paint the muffler with an anti rust paint. I painted mine with bbq paint so it doesnt start to rust. and they usually do rust alot.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Yes its new, but I am actually not to worried about rust and such. I had the undercariage done with this Ziebart coating, had it done on a previous vehicle as well. The stuff is almost nuke proof. Very worth the few hundred it cost, and very profesionaly done. Its usually offered thru dealers, but if you live anywhere with bad winter weather (salt on roads) i would suggest it, best of all, mud just falls off it with little effort.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would put some type rust proof stuff on it. My experience with the Gibson was horrible. I had one on my rig and the welds came undone. I only had it for about 7 months and the whole thing just fell apart on me. I sent it back and would never deal with gibson again. I have pics if you want to see what I am talking about. I just got my Banks exhaust and im loving it so far. Well GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not trying to knock your write-up or Jeep, but the Gibson stuff looks cheap. I hope it holds up for you.

Nice Jeep, and nice write-up.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wranger X
I would put some type rust proof stuff on it. My experience with the Gibson was horrible. I had one on my rig and the welds came undone. I only had it for about 7 months and the whole thing just fell apart on me. I sent it back and would never deal with gibson again. I have pics if you want to see what I am talking about. I just got my Banks exhaust and im loving it so far. Well GOOD LUCK!
I have had good luck with the stainless cat back system on my F150. After 4 years, no issues. Even with New England winter salt.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM
JK Junkie

This post is worthless without sound clips :P
Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 PM
JK Freak

Am really happy with this gibson and i have the stainless steel too, i dont have winter here at all hehe, no snow and a bit of rain and i stated to notice rust on the joints, so i painted it and it looks real good to with matte black. and now it will stay as long as i need it.

Quick Reply: Gibson Exauhst Install w/Pics