Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gibson dual exhaust, is it that bad?

Old 05-28-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porschebreath
I have read mostly bad things about this exhaust. On another forum , they like theres. Can owners that have a gibson exhaust PLEASE tell me the good and bad. Much appreciated.
I am really very happy with it. It's much better than the stock. A lot smaller too!

I installed the Gibson Dual outlet exhaust the unichip and the XDI intake at the same time.

I instantly noticed a INCREASE in fuel millage. I only use 87 octane. I have never tried the high octane setting on the unichip yet. I have a 3" lift and I get 20mpg on the freeway and 18 around town! Stock I was getting 15 around town and 18 on the freeway.

I will be honest at first I thought "rice burner" but after a week I realized it doesn't sound like that at all. It a much "Deeper" tone. I got several complements on it from other Jeep owners. So that definitely set my mind at ease. If you do buy it do not get the cheap kit get the stainless kit if you never want to replace it again.

I have a 96 Mustang GT as well and I was expecting that type of sound. You will never get a V8 sound from a V6. The sound is aggressive when you get on it but cruising to Moab on a 10 hour drive was nice and quiet. I was just watching a movie on the Mygig (Well wife was watching and I was listening to the movie).

The other cool thing is you can remove the tips with one wrench so when you wheel you don't crush the tips! Thats very Cool!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell Yea the welds dont even last a year. Dont buy it. I have and the welds got undone. I have to replace it now. 7 months after buying it.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Wrangler,, before you trash it run over to a meineke(not midas) and ask them to see if they can tack it back up for you.. I worked at one years ago and we would do that kind of work all the time for cash.. if its just their welds failing it be easy to zip it back together.. If your intent on replacing let me know,, I'd take the failed one off your hands.. I'm in your area all the time..
Steve
Old 10-27-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

ive had mine for about 2 thousand miles now. I got it on Ebay for $120 new in box so i couldnt refuse. I love the way it sounds and i get alot of compliments on it all the time. Im a little worried about the welds but they are holding so far. And like a previous poster said if they do fail ill jsut have them fixed at a welding shop. I would never Pay 300 bucks for it though. I would get a flow master and have it custom installed. I was jsut rolling through ebay one day and caught it up on there. For 120 shipped yes i think ill take it. See if you can find a deal on it but i will say no gasmileage increase and no power increase. Its also kind of annoying in 4wL on the trial as its realy Deep Bass. If it fail to peices tomorrow i would not buy it again.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Unhappy

I had the dual Gibson with and XDI CAI. The look is great and the sound is is louder than stock but I love it. The only thing which is dissapointing is the quality, after one year there is rust all over, not so good looking

A few weeeks ago I bought the Gibson headers, but it was a pain in the ass. The heat in the engine bay was so immense that the spark plug wires on the drivers side melted away, even with heat shield and AEV Hood. I would not do that again. I paid thousands of Euros to the garage for in the end nothing.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

I had the Gibson single exhaust on my 07 Jeep for about a year and loved it. A friend had the dual exhaust on his 07 he was trading in so we swaped the exhausts since I liked the look of the duals. I have regretted the swap since day one. There is an extremely annoying drone from 1600 to 2400 rpms (about where you drive most of the time) and there is a noticable decrease in throttle response over the single. Boy what a difference a pipe makes. Forget the Gibson duals, you won't be happy.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

I put this exhaust on my wives JK and she loves it. It’s the stainless model and has been through 2 Wisconsin winters no problems. It was loud to start but mellowed out real nice. I didn’t notice any fuel or HP gains but it looks and sounds good. As for performance loss I haven’t noticed any. And yes I have plans on putting one on my JK.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Around here (Oklahoma) a muffler shop will put on a flowmaster for around $200 parts and labor, I've heard both a flowmaster 40 and the gibson single and the 40 sounds better IMO.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont advise about much on here but for the most bang for your buck get a magnaflow or like me flowmaster and go to a good local shop. I had mine redo the pipe just in front of the rear axle. This essentially is all those kits do. Its not a sports car but gets you what you need for flow and sounds good. I really like the sound for a 6 cyl JEEP and only paid 140.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

I have the dual here's my .02
Pros
sounds good if you like a bit of noise
looks good
easy install dropped right in

Cons
sits to low if you like the rocks I have smashed both tips
crappy welds seen three fall apart(I have been told that has been fixed)

I really like it if I was going to buy it again I would not buy the same one I would get the Stainless one not the cheaper of the twobut I would get the GIBSON AGAIN!!!

Quick Reply: Gibson dual exhaust, is it that bad?