Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Getting ready to order 4:88's and need opinions

Old 09-14-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting ready to order 4:88's and need opinions

I am getting ready to order my 4:88's and am trying to decide whether or not to buy new install kits. I only have 300 miles on the Rubi. I am having a very respectable Jeep dealership do the install and they are leaving the decision to me. What would you all do?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

respectable Jeep dealership
Respectable?

Jeep dealership??

As long as the tech knows what he is doing, and does not run into any issues, you can get away with the installs. But I am not a fan of re-using bearings, so my vote goes to the overhaul kits.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I believe so... Call northridge they will set you up with everything you need
Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Respectable?

Jeep dealership??

As long as the tech knows what he is doing, and does not run into any issues, you can get away with the installs. But I am not a fan of re-using bearings, so my vote goes to the overhaul kits.
Well as respectable as they can be...lol. They really are pretty cool guys though with a very good drive train tech and most of them are in a local Jeep club here. Plus they will warranty the labor for a year which imo is pretty good for using aftermarket parts. I just want to make sure it is done right and do not feel comfortable taking it to Joe Bob down the holler. I would attempt it myself before I did that. I might as well go all in and get the overhaul kits .. $350.00 isn't as bad as second guessing myself for as long as I own the Jeep.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Why 4:88 ? I see you have a 4 door. Go with 5:13. Much better for a 4 door. I have a 2 door and was thinking the same as you but was talked into 5:13 and could not be happier. If you are doing it once do it now and not regret .
Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by viking
Why 4:88 ? I see you have a 4 door. Go with 5:13. Much better for a 4 door. I have a 2 door and was thinking the same as you but was talked into 5:13 and could not be happier. If you are doing it once do it now and not regret .
I'm with this guy, why 4:88? regardless of 2dr to 4dr it's really about tire size and manual vs auto. As far as getting the install kit to regear I would say yes, it's one less thing to have to worry about in the long run. Do it onces the right way.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

I have beat myself over and over on the 4:88 vs 5:13 debate. I thought I had finally made up my mind and then you just had to bring it up again didn't you?
OK, 5:13s's it is then. With the 5:13's do you have that feeling of driving a tank when your in 1'st gear? I actually like a short 1'st but was still thinking the 4:88 was like the perfect in between.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

For an auto, 5.13/5.38 all the way. For a manual, base the decision on your needs. Lots of freeway time, and I would think twice about 5.13's on a 6spd.

edit - I was assuming 35's, but didn't actually see the tire height you are ending up with?

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-16-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

You seem to be easily swayed! I went with 4.88 myself. Very happy with my choice. But all said and done, it is up to you and your JK setup.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

I agree with your decision to go with 4.88s. I have an '08 6 spd JKU with 37s on it and I'm very happy with the 4.88s I went with. I have no problems comfortably holding highway speeds of 70-75mph and get 18mpg while at it. The JK has no problems getting up and going, no problems climbing hills, etc. In my opinion, for my situation, 5.13 would of been too low. It took me a while to make my decision and I asked alot of questions and a lot of people. My biggest concern was for highway driving, how high was I going to be revving my engine. As far as I'm concerned it is perfect right now. I'm running about 2750-2800rpms at 75mph. This allows my JK to easily turn the 37s, don't have to downshift at all, generally once on the highway and in 6th, don't have to shift till I get off.
As for overhaul kits? My JK only had 20k miles on it when I did my gears. I went with the overhaul kits because as previously stated by someone, don't like to reuse bearings. To me...it is cheap insurance, your there...use new parts.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to order 4:88's and need opinions