Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Getting power from a pentastar

Old 05-28-2013, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting power from a pentastar

Ok so we've all heard about hemi swaps and even LS swaps so the other day I came up with what I thaught was a great idea. Why has no one bored and stroked the pentestar. Seems like more power for the money compared to a 15k hemi swap. Any specific reason no one doing this. Ecu maybe?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Lack of parts. Idk.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys make a ported throttle body and intake manifold but that is about all that I have found. Modern Muscle Performance
Old 05-28-2013, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

How much power can you really get from porting the throttle body and intake though. Doesn't seem like it'd be a very noticeable gain
Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Only thing that is available for us - programmers - intakes - exhaust...Have them all...Noticeable difference
with the Diablosport programmer...haven said that gear swap is the next thing...It's not adding horsepower
but refiguring the RPM's - torque lines - shift points ...basically it worked for me...I have a 12 JKU with 35"s
and a mild lift - bumpers...get's me along just fine , i keep up in city - on highway no problem...
Old 05-29-2013, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bhealey28
How much power can you really get from porting the throttle body and intake though. Doesn't seem like it'd be a very noticeable gain
I don't think that there is much power to be pulled from these engines without boost. Just based on the research that I have done even if someone had a ported intake, ported throttle body, cai, exhaust and a tuner I think that they would be lucky to see around the 30 HP mark. If I had money to spend I certainly think that there are better places to use it.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Because you can get much more power from a supercharger with many benefits over the bore and stroke.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Give it time and there'll be more and more parts released
Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bhealey28
Ok so we've all heard about hemi swaps and even LS swaps so the other day I came up with what I thaught was a great idea. Why has no one bored and stroked the pentestar. Seems like more power for the money compared to a 15k hemi swap. Any specific reason no one doing this. Ecu maybe?
That's already a pretty high output engine. These V6's are small to begin with so the margin per dollar invested is small. Plus engine life will likely suffer some as well. The resale on the Hemi / LS conversions seem to be pretty high as they usually bring 18 - 20,000.00 over a regular jK. I want to do this someday, dreaming!!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Forced induction will be the way to go in my opinion with the 3.8/3.6.

My working on vehicles started with v6 mustangs. I have built many different setups on the 3.8. N/A, Nitrous, supercharger, turbocharger. The setup that produced the most power was always the turbo. The 3.8 mustangs love turbo's. Here is a video of a basically stock motor 3.8 mustang that a buddy and I built with a twin turbo kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aqT6Opxyt0
When you start getting into ported intake manifolds with a stock engine the gains will be minimal. Those type of mods see better gains when accompanied with high lift cams, ported heads, headers, and other mods that make the engine flow better.

Once I stepped up to an 04 GTO with a 5.7L LS1 from the v6 mustangs, I went for an N/A setup. Simply because with the displacement of the motor, by putting a new cam/ported heads/manifold/long tube headers, the motor woke up and produced some nice power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-76pkOUcpM From my experience, I would save for forced induction. Once this motor is worn out, I want to drop an LS series into the Jeep with a big cam and a nice set of heads anyways.

Also, to bore and stroke a motor will cost more than $3k for just parts. I would guess the hp gain in our motors would be around 40rwhp +/- a few. There is much more to gain from a turbo/supercharger for almost the same money.

Last edited by ucfjeep; 05-29-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Getting power from a pentastar