Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Getting a little upset!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gint2
Your lug nuts don't know how thick your rim is... if you torque your lug nuts with a 1/4 spacer, they should be fine. Have you ever looked at the length of a head bolt? They hold a great deal of psi also...
Just think this through and don't put that much thought in it.

A 5" offset it too high, the bigger the # the further in the rim sits. You should have gone with at least 4.5 if not less.
Head bolts have only a static load on them, lugs have the whole weight of the vehicle on them with a dynamic load. Without going into shear and tensile strength and metallugy...I will say its your rig, not mine and do what you please
Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

I just went through the same issue you are having. After new wheels were mounted i heard some type of rubbing/squeaking. I went crazy trying to figure out where it was coming from and narrowed it down the front driver side wheel well. When i checked out the wheel it did not appear to be rubbing the the brakes but i went and purchased spidertrax spacers (very pleased with them) to see if that would solve the issues, it DID NOT and i was getting really irritated. So after sitting in front of my front driver side wheel for about 20 minutes drinking an adult beverage i looked up and noticed that the 1 diff breather valve retainer thingy was not set properly and the other one was completely off and the whole thing was seated too low....put the wheel back on and drove it and the sounds was gone...what a PITA but atleast i was able to talk wifey into getting wheel spacers
Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

IMO your backspacing has nothing to do with this rubbing. The stamped circles on the wheel is what is rubbing. The stamping leaves a lip on the backside that rubs. I had the same problem with my 15s. Cleared the sides of the caliper but rubbed on the same bar as you. Easiest thing is to grind that bar down a little at a time until it clears.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

I'd grind the caliper down a little bit. Easy 25 second 'fix'..

I wish I understood why so many people are afraid of spacers. I have ran them on my jeep for a year and all my past vehicles with no issues. 8 different cars/trucks..

0 issues. Just have to torque them down and make sure they are hubcentric.

Hell I have ran some small non hubcentric 5 and 10mm spacers in my old 3 series for years. Probably not ideal. But it was fine...

Don't worry about spacers. At all
Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mad-Hatter
The 1/4" spacers are just added onto your existing lugs and moves the stress away from the base of the lugs to more of the middle where they are weaker. The spidertrax ones, for example, mount onto your lugs and provide new ones and are a lot safer IMO
That depends on the spacer or wheel as well. I don't think moving the stress point a 1/4" is going to make a real difference. Especially if we are talking hub centric wheels and spacers. I run Spidertrax on the jeep and check torque often. I would not run a spidertrax or other type spacer on a high power street/race car due to the lateral loads involved. I may be playing it safe but that is how I see it. YMMV.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ColdSRT
That depends on the spacer or wheel as well. I don't think moving the stress point a 1/4" is going to make a real difference. Especially if we are talking hub centric wheels and spacers. I run Spidertrax on the jeep and check torque often. I would not run a spidertrax or other type spacer on a high power street/race car due to the lateral loads involved. I may be playing it safe but that is how I see it. YMMV.
Well, like I said, the spidertrax ones, or others that bolt to your lugs and have integrated lugs in them that you bolt your wheel to are much safer. The 1/4" ones just slide over your existing lugs and you still use them to bolt your wheel to...just have less lug to bolt to now and its shear point is more towards the middle of the lug. Think of it this way, if you have a small tree you are trying to break, its a lot harder to break it at the base of the tree than in the middle of it. I wouldn't be afraid of the spidertrax type since you still get to mount to the base of the lugs on it as I stated.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I run the 1/4" spacers in the front and 1.25" adapters (like spidertrax) in the back of my corvette. You could call it a "street race" car with no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again either. I only drive that car every now and again though. So I see no reason people should be afraid of spacers. Oh/ and call me crazy but I only check torque on that car prolly twice a year , I put maybe 5k miles a year on it.
Well, that is a different application. Much lighter vehicle and the front you have your 1/4" spacers isn't a drive axle. Depends on the usage too...wheeling hard or not
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 15's rubbed the same way. Took grinder to wheel and pad support bar there and opened it up 1/8 inch
Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help guys!! I got the last two sets of spacers that autozone had an got it all put on. I'm only running 265/75/16s but man do they look bigger than my stock wranglers on the moabs. I drove it around the block and am very pleased! Thanks again for all the help!! I don't have a good picture because it's in the garage and I couldnt get far enough away, but you get the idea.

Last edited by ArkJK; 04-13-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArkJK
Thanks for all the help guys!! I got the last two sets of spacers that autozone had an got it all put on. I'm only running 265/75/16s but man do they look bigger than my stock wranglers on the moans. I drove KT around the block and am very pleased! Thanks again for all the help!! I don't have a good picture because it's in the garage and I couldnt get far enough away, but you get the idea.
Forgot the pics ha

Quick Reply: Getting a little upset!!!!!!!!!