Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Getting bump stops in with 2.5" Teraflex kit

Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting bump stops in with 2.5" Teraflex kit

I've read how hard getting the bump stops in the front can be with the Teraflex (and maybe other) kits can be. But holy hell, it's almost impossible!! At first we tried to put them in first before the springs like the instructions said. No way we could get the angle right to do that. Then, we tried to put them in at the same time as the shock. And I must say that while I **think** maybe they're in, it's hard to tell. Both ways seem just about impossible.

Are there any secrets or things that can make this much easier?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some where on here I think I posted some pictures of my install and I know their are instructions over on Project-jk on a technique someone used. I used block of wood and my jack.... It is no doubt hard to do and the drivers side was most difficult. I kept checking the drivers side periodically to see if it had fallen out... never did. I figured once I went off-road and fully compressed it would be pushed in nice and tight.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jllaclair
Some where on here I think I posted some pictures of my install and I know their are instructions over on Project-jk on a technique someone used. I used block of wood and my jack.... It is no doubt hard to do and the drivers side was most difficult. I kept checking the drivers side periodically to see if it had fallen out... never did. I figured once I went off-road and fully compressed it would be pushed in nice and tight.
I saw that post and honestly, I didn't have a problem getting the stop in without the spring. The problem was that when that was in, there was no way we could get the spring in. The block would be fine for doing it before the spring. Maybe I just needed to disconnect brake lines, etc. to get the axle WAY down. The instructions have you do the stops then springs, we just could not get anywhere close to being able to get that spring in when the stop was installed.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rubi3
I saw that post and honestly, I didn't have a problem getting the stop in without the spring. The problem was that when that was in, there was no way we could get the spring in. The block would be fine for doing it before the spring. Maybe I just needed to disconnect brake lines, etc. to get the axle WAY down. The instructions have you do the stops then springs, we just could not get anywhere close to being able to get that spring in when the stop was installed.
Yeah, you shoulda took the caliper off and let the axle down more. You coulda also used spring compressors to get the springs back in.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Yeah, you shoulda took the caliper off and let the axle down more. You coulda also used spring compressors to get the springs back in.
Hmmm, maybe I will check into the spring compressor. It's in there but I'm not 100% sure the bump stop is seated all the way. Do you know if you can borrow one from an auto parts store?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
There is no reason to touch the calipers to install this lift. You need to disconnect your brake line holders (simple screw), remove the track bar bolts, and loosen your UCA and LCA control arm bolts to lower the axles. Once lowered you can install the bump stops and use a floor jack to raise the axles back up and use them to push the bump stops in place. Once this is done, you can put on your new longer coils.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rubi3
Hmmm, maybe I will check into the spring compressor. It's in there but I'm not 100% sure the bump stop is seated all the way. Do you know if you can borrow one from an auto parts store?
Yes

Originally Posted by ESP123
There is no reason to touch the calipers to install this lift. You need to disconnect your brake line holders (simple screw), remove the track bar bolts, and loosen your UCA and LCA control arm bolts to lower the axles. Once lowered you can install the bump stops and use a floor jack to raise the axles back up and use them to push the bump stops in place. Once this is done, you can put on your new longer coils.
I did it so its one thing less to worry about me snaggin or pulling on. My two cents
Old 11-20-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default ditto this

Originally Posted by ESP123
ditto this.....i actually used my service jack to pop the bump stops in with a small piece of 2x4....the coils go in with ease if you have loosened C/A's, taken track bars out, etc.....Jeep has to be on jack stands or lift high enough for you to let the axle DOWN!!!! out of the way....then you can put in your new springs....easy as pie!!!! Be careful about running your rig without some kind of securement for the front brake lines if you decide not to put them back where the factory did.....there is a thread in here for that mod as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put my Terraflex lift on this weekend and the passenger side is the worst. I used a floor jack and a short piece of 2x4 to press the bumpstop in. On the spring it will go with some pressure, It's a tight fit but it will go in. All I did was take the bracket off on the brake line.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

i used spring compressors for my old man emu install, and i dont recommend them. take off the brakes instead. spring compressors are miserable

Quick Reply: Getting bump stops in with 2.5" Teraflex kit