Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Getting 2013 JKU for DD & have 6k to spend on mods, how would you spend it?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd drive it like it is for a while and do your research on what you REALLY want. I've got at least $2,000 worth of barley used stuff in my garage because I changed my mind too much...
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Why are you getting a rubicon if your not going to wheel it and when you are 4 years from now your pulling the rears for 60's I would buy a sport save cash put. 3" lift for now with some 35s and get started with the armor and recovery stuff. If you swap the drivetrain later most likely your lift will need reworking.

Steve
Old 09-01-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Mine is a daily driver for the wife. I have kept the mods on my 12 rubi pretty simple.
Garage door remote button
European rear light guards
Gas cap kit
Teraflex 1.5 level kit ( most awesome mod)

Next two months
Warn full width bumper

Christmas
Warn winch

Next year
????
Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3380382668.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	360993

Teraflex level kit
Old 09-01-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite3
Why are you getting a rubicon if your not going to wheel it and when you are 4 years from now your pulling the rears for 60's I would buy a sport save cash put. 3" lift for now with some 35s and get started with the armor and recovery stuff. If you swap the drivetrain later most likely your lift will need reworking.

Steve
In 4 years I'll be out of the military and returned to Missouri, where I can enjoy the rubi. It'll take years for the D60s, but there eventually coming. In the meantime the modded rubi will have to do.

I like the evo kits, I'll seriously look into them.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
I would leave the money in the bank and drive it the way it is for at least a few thousand miles before screwing it up. At least thats what I'm doing. I've got the money that I could spend on mods, but its sitting in the bank because I'm having so much fun driving my three week old 2-door Rubi right the way it is.
$6,000 x .5% bank interest = $30 dollars/year. I will pay you $30 to use $6,000 of anybody's money a year. If the engine is not ticking, you should be good to go. No matter what you do, there is always an upgrade to be done. Spend it on what makes you the happiest.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Evo

Originally Posted by JCDriller
I'm about to order my first wrangler, a 2013 Billet JKU Rubicon to be my DD. I've got ~$6k to spend on mods. I'm thinking I want 35-37s, a 3.5-4" lift, eventually gobi rack with front and rear bumpers. However, at this time I'm more concerned with getting a quality foundation built than trying to half ass the jeep to completion. A good on road ride is very important. It'll be a dd for the next 4 years until its paid off then it'll become a toy. I would prefer to not have to redo too many mods when I start going bigger with the exception of tires, a diesel and d60s.

So how would you outfit a new rubi daily driver with a 6k budget?
I would go with the new EVO bolt in coilover kit front and rear, 37 m/t (brand Toyo, Nitto would be my choice) re gear with 538 gearing you will also need to get new drive shafts I would suggest JE Real 1350 driveshaft front and rear. That kind of set up will last a very long time with a great ride on and off road.
Good luck.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard the Bilstein shocks giving the best ride. So definitely get a set of those. Most people say the 5100's. But make sure you get the right shocks based on the size lift you get.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My ultimate goal will be a teraflex 6" long arm lift w/ coilovers and 40s, but that will blow well past my $6k budget and will have to wait until my JK is no longer my daily driver. For now I'm going to settle with 35-37" tires and a small lift with a 1" body lift and fender flares. This postpones needing driveline modification that may need to be redone when I finally do the 6" lift. My lift options are as follows:

2.5" teraflex budget boost w/ 1" body lift and bilstein 5100s
2.5" teraflex spring lift w/ 1" body lift and bilstein 5100s
2.5" teraflex long arm lift w/ 1" body lift and bilstein 5100s

If I go with the budget boost it's cheap and can be used with the 6" long arm lift prior to coilovers if needed. If I go with the 2.5" spring lift its still cheap, will provide a slightly better ride on the road, but will have to be scrapped when I eventually do the 6" lift. Finally, the 2.5" long arm lift will provide the best ride, is the most expensive, but the brackets will already be in place on the frame when I go to the 6" lift making it super fast and easy. However the long arm kit burns most my available funds after install and on a daily driver won't really make much difference.

In addition I'll be changing to 5.38s, 37" tires, wheels with proper back spacing, sleeves, gussets. What other suspension mods are needed to properly lift the vehicle? Adjustable track bar?

Thanks for all the help, I'm coming from a Ford Cobra/GT500 background so this is very new.

Any input on the three lifts listed or what your preference would be?
Old 09-03-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

The first mod for me would be the EVO MFG ProTeK Skid System. In fact for me it IS the first mod. $400 of peace of mind if you are going to off-road it at all. Then worry about lifts, tires, bumpers, etc...

Quick Reply: Getting 2013 JKU for DD & have 6k to spend on mods, how would you spend it?