Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

get excited....another wheel/tire question

Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default get excited....another wheel/tire question

Hey guys,

Any foreseeable problems with this setup?

Goodyear MTR Kevlar 35X12.5R15
Pro Comp Steelies 15X10 3.75 backspacing

I currently run 33 inch Duratracs with Spidertrax spacers and a Teraflex leveling kit.

My JEEP is '09 6spd with 3.18. Jeep drives fine now, 6 gear with any sort of uphill on highway is useless, so I'm pretty sure I'll need to regear......probably go with 4.88's.

THANKS in advance for any feedback.

sidenote: anyone else psyched that football season is just about here??

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	354436
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 AM
JK Freak

Prob going to need wheel with at least 4.5" of back spacing so you have no rubbing with those tires
Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mook8651
Prob going to need wheel with at least 4.5" of back spacing so you have no rubbing with those tires
This would be ideal for sure, I'm just having trouble finding 15 inch wheels with 4.25" of BS or >.

They all seem to be 3.75.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:04 AM
JK Freak

If your going to stick with 15's might need spacer so your not rubbing.. There's more tires an wheels to pick from with 17's ever think bout them or you set on 15's?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:44 AM
JK Freak

I understand that 15 inch tires are much cheaper, but with the possible clearance issues why not go up 1 inch to 16's? The tires are almost as cheap, wheels are not much more and it alleviates a lot of possible clearance issues. I am extremely psyched about the football season, especially with the way my Niners are looking. If you are a Cowboy fan however don't know if I would be that excited lol!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bamabrugge
This would be ideal for sure, I'm just having trouble finding 15 inch wheels with 4.25" of BS or >.

They all seem to be 3.75.
Why would you want 4.25" or more? You are already safe with 3.75". You also won't need to reagear, especially with a manual. 5th gear is what it is for. BTW, I would personally go to 8" or 8.5" wheel, instead of a 10". You're just adding extra weight with the 10" and the wheel won't hold the tire as well when aired down. Yes, your tires will sit a bit wider on a 10" wheel, if you really want them to be.

Last edited by TheTerminator; 08-15-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
I understand that 15 inch tires are much cheaper, but with the possible clearance issues why not go up 1 inch to 16's? The tires are almost as cheap, wheels are not much more and it alleviates a lot of possible clearance issues.
There is quite a large difference between going to 15 vs 16. For MTRs it's going to be $400 difference on tires alone. Add a few more bucks for the wheels. Now you're closer to $500. As far as clearance, I never heard of a show stopping clearance issue. The worst that can happen is having to trim a bit off the caliper. And if you go with alloys, you will most certainly won't even have to trim.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
especially with the way my Niners are looking.

WHO DAT!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
There is quite a large difference between going to 15 vs 16. For MTRs it's going to be $400 difference on tires alone. Add a few more bucks for the wheels. Now you're closer to $500. As far as clearance, I never heard of a show stopping clearance issue. The worst that can happen is having to trim a bit off the caliper. And if you go with alloys, you will most certainly won't even have to trim.
Exactly, BIG difference in price. Plus, makes the tires look meatier

Thanks for the input, y'all! Good call on wheels, I think you're right about 8's vs. 10's.

I am a Cowboys fan, yet they constantly disgust me. t's exciting times to be a niners fan, wish the rivalry could be renewed, but we have to field a football team first.

My true love is college football and ALABAMA
Old 08-15-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by crawdaddy

WHO DAT!!!
However, NOT the best time to be a Saints fan.

I would focus on LSU if I were you

Quick Reply: get excited....another wheel/tire question