Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gerry Cans?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by walker
Is there a sunset date on this law? I think we ought to take this to congress, because they have no idea what they signed. How about we form a caravan of jeeps and circle the capital with carb-cans spilling (water) out all over the streets to show how much they suck. They can take our Scepter fuel cans..... but they can't take our freedom! (tongue in cheek folks)

I am heading out the door to scour every army surplus store in town to secure a few more, wish me luck.
BAHAHA!
Nice idea. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by butchucoyz
Check out Expedition One. They've got some and I have their rear bumper and
tire carrier on order. It's been 3 weeks but It should be coming in soon... I hope.
http://www.expeditionone.biz/Geri_intro.htm

those cans are cool, if a bit longer you could use as a spine board in case of emergency.....
Old 10-12-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I know that people complain about the CARB-compliant Sceptor cans, but you really should look into the Wedco cans. I use the hell out of mine and have no problems with them at all. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. Actually, I've been so happy with them that I would never buy any other kind.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the Wedco carb compliant ones or the ones with the metal latch top? I think you brought up a good alternative, although I don't like metal cans for various reasons.

I found this review online that is the most comprehensive review I have seen:
http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...stuff/al/Jerry Can Paper V1.3.pdf
Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by walker
Do you have the Wedco carb compliant ones or the ones with the metal latch top? I think you brought up a good alternative, although I don't like metal cans for various reasons.

I found this review online that is the most comprehensive review I have seen:
http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...stuff/al/Jerry Can Paper V1.3.pdf

I have the carb compliant gas can (and regular water can). I use my cans a lot because we run desert trails and might not see a gas station for days. Have never had a problem with any leaking from either of the cans, and the liner in the water can keeps the water fresh tasting.

I used to pour mine with the CARB spout and never had a problem with leaking, but I found out that it's so much easier to leave the can on the jeep and use a siphon system. So even if you use a sceptor can with a leaky CARB spout, a siphon would practically make it a non-issue, wouldn't it (or are they just leaky in general?)
Old 10-13-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

wish I had the $$$ to shell out for new bumpers all around. I'm so jealous!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

No kidding. I really dig the LOD midwidth bumper with winch. It fits what I'm looking for and it's a great price. But add the rear bumper and tailgate and can holders and cans and BAM....

And not to hijack my own thread (if that's possible) but is it common to mix and match bumpers? Surely you don't have to get front a rear from the same company right? I know it may sound like a stupid question but does anyone have any thoughts on it? Would you for appearances sake, or is it the majority preference to get a pair?
Old 10-14-2008, 04:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by aznme1
... is it common to mix and match bumpers? Surely you don't have to get front a rear from the same company right? ...
My put: I would at least want the front and rear to appear somewhat similar--mixing tube and rock crawler bumpers would be a bit disconnected in my book. I have a great Shrockworks mid-width in the front, and would love a rear from them as well, but they are nigh impossible to obtain and I think they still don't have the jerrican carriers ready. The problem is that I definitely want to keep my stock hitch, which limits the companies I can choose, and I want the rear and front to have the same finish--but I have a semi-gloss front bumper and I've learned that's pretty rare--most opt for the pebblegrain finish (or whatever it's called).

Bottom line: It's your Jeep, get what you want.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
My put: I would at least want the front and rear to appear somewhat similar--mixing tube and rock crawler bumpers would be a bit disconnected in my book. I have a great Shrockworks mid-width in the front, and would love a rear from them as well, but they are nigh impossible to obtain and I think they still don't have the jerrican carriers ready. The problem is that I definitely want to keep my stock hitch, which limits the companies I can choose, and I want the rear and front to have the same finish--but I have a semi-gloss front bumper and I've learned that's pretty rare--most opt for the pebblegrain finish (or whatever it's called).

Bottom line: It's your Jeep, get what you want.

Hmmmm. Good point. I didn't even think about the hitch or finish issues. Definitely good to know. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Now that I'm thinking about it, what are the more common finishes? Matte black? Powdercoat?

Last edited by aznme1; 10-14-2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Additional Thoughts:
Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So does anyone know if this will fit the JK? It says it fits 5x5.5 or 5x4.5 bolt patterns but doesn't the JK have a 5x5 patttern? Will it still fit?

Quick Reply: Gerry Cans?