Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gerry Cans?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gerry Cans?

Can anyone recommend some gerry cans and holders? I've seen some swing away tire carriers with places to keep gerry cans which I would like. I don't want to change my rear bumper or anything but I'd kinda like a place to keep some spare fuel. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd really like to see people's solutions to this as well. It seems like an area that just hasn't seen enough attention. Other than the jerry can / tire carrier option there doesn't seem to be much out there to address this need.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Check out Expedition One. They've got some and I have their rear bumper and
tire carrier on order. It's been 3 weeks but It should be coming in soon... I hope.
http://www.expeditionone.biz/Geri_intro.htm
Old 10-10-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys! I know the Jeep masses want to speak on this. Right? Right??
Old 10-10-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by butchucoyz
Check out Expedition One. They've got some and I have their rear bumper and
tire carrier on order. It's been 3 weeks but It should be coming in soon... I hope.
http://www.expeditionone.biz/Geri_intro.htm
Love the idea of these, but not available in CARB states.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Geko45
Love the idea of these, but not available in CARB states.

I have the bumper and cans, just waiting on the mount. Got an email today that said it would be ready in 4 to 6 weeks.

I believe their web site once said that they would be available in CARB states soon, but I don't remember.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found this doing a google search. It mounts to the stock spare tire.

Looks easy, simple and out of the way. What do you guys thinks? Anyone have experience with this?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

I just had the OR-FAB swing away tire carrier installed this week and it seems very solid and well engineered. The install isn't for those who are timid about cutting a bunch of holes in their Jeep, but it turned out well.

I then purchased two 5 gallon Blitz cans at Harbor Freight for about $40 each.. They attach to the base of the tire carrier and are nested between the spare tire and carrier to the rear and rest against rubber bump stops on the tailgate that keep them snug and rattle free. Of course, this carrier also has provision for mounting a CB antenna and Hi Lift jack. A storage rack is also available as an add on option I believe.

The gas cans seem to be fairly well protected, relatively low and reasonably secure. When it was all said and done, I ended up spending about $775 installed plus the cost of cans, jack and antenna.

If you are thinking of buying one, please consider David at Northridge 4x4. He is the man when it comes to OR-FAB or any quality JK accessory. I'm a very satisfied customer.

-meljr
Old 10-10-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aznme1

Looks easy, simple and out of the way. What do you guys thinks? Anyone have experience with this?
I like this! Any idea who makes it?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

I had one on my my 1978 FJ-40. Worked great. Mine even had a small hasp where you could install a lock.

Hate to send you to an FJ Cruiser site, but...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/camping-equipment/55908-jerry-can-holder-spare-tire.html

I like the one they show for Expedition One's new plastic cans. If you can weld it doesn't look like much to fab-up.

Originally Posted by aznme1
I found this doing a google search. It mounts to the stock spare tire.

Last edited by Robar; 10-10-2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS

Quick Reply: Gerry Cans?