Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Genright Zero Inch Flare Install

Old 08-20-2016, 05:07 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genright Zero Inch Flare Install

Does anyone have experience installing the Genright zero inch flares? http://genright.com/jk-aluminum-0-flare-rear/

The instructions aren't exactly helpful. It seems fairly simple but I don't want to start drilling and shit only to find out I missed something.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Link for you!

http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/showt...install-(rear)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:42 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I never searched there
Old 08-24-2016, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I just installed some of these last month. I would say that the front go on a bit easier than the rear; however, I wasn't thrilled that they only send one size screw. I had to cut down the middle three screws on each side as they would otherwise hit the frame before screwing in all the way. For $100, I don't think a customer should have to deal with that. Also, on the rear, install as many nutserts/bolts as possible and mount the flare using those before you drill the holes that didn't previously exist. It will help keep the new holes lined up. I was not thrilled with the spacers in the rear. As you mentioned, they don't give any indication which of the 4 sizes go where. I played with the puzzle for a bit, and even when I figured it out, I wasn't completely happy with how the flare sat. I can see how there would be small tolerance differences from jeep to jeep considering the pinch seam you're drilling in to. In the end, I got some plastic spacers at Home Depot....I used 3/4 of my own on each side to get the rears to lie exactly how i wanted them. A few of them I cut to a custom length. The rear is definitely a bit more tricky than the front given there are more moving parts. Take your time and work slowly. Hopefully you already have some experience with nutserts.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Oh, also, I'd suggest some silicone behind the fronts. I drove a 1600 mile round trip right after installation and those fronts rattled the entire way! When I got home I took em off and put some silicone behind them. Problem solved.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

I put them in last night. Wasn't too bad but I went with well nuts vs rivnut. I Was 0 for 3 on the rivnuts, and I've never had a problem before, so there's that. I installed the rear 5 or 6, and then drilled the front holes. Put everything on the flare after that and then put it on the jeep and tightened away. Turned out as expected. The twin end holes get the 1/2in spacer and the second from last on the back gets the 3/4. Went well but it will take some getting used to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4206375993.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	655283   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2614589654.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	655284  
Old 08-25-2016, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Looks good. I went fenderless all the way around. I suppose this would depend on tire, but my Nitto Trail Grapplers like to pick rocks up. Driving down a gravel road is risky business! First time out I was slinging rocks everywhere. A few flew off the back tire towards the front and broke my passenger side mirror. With windows down a few came in through and even across the cab. I believe those were from the rears hitting the mirror and being re-directed in. Again, all would depend on how much your tires like to sling gravel size rocks, but just a word of caution.

Curious if you looked at the JCR rear fender deletes? I think it's a better design being 2 pieces and not having to mess with the spacers, but in the end cost won me over and I went with the Gen Rights. That said......I think the lower cost definitely amounted to a longer install time.

I don't have a pic of my rears at the moment, but here is my front.Click image for larger version

Name:	20160806_082401.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	655306
Old 08-25-2016, 12:50 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

I don't mind the look up front but if I'm stuck in something nasty I walk across the fronts to get to the winch. As far as rocks, that's def a worry still. I chose this route since I had wanted it on the previous jeep, price was king. At $100, I figured I would try and if I don't end up liking it I'll buy rear flares to match the front.

Tires are duratracs so I'm sure they'll grab a few rocks.

Quick Reply: Genright Zero Inch Flare Install