Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Genright / Evo Carrier Quick Release Pins

Old 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genright / Evo Carrier Quick Release Pins

What are yall doing for quick release pins for these tire carriers?

I had to cut one of mine so I need another one, and Im sure there are better options out there then the ones they provide? Any thoughts on where to go for some?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why would you have to cut yours?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harbor freight or auto store, hitch pins work fine. The HR ones have a rubber t-handle.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
Harbor freight or auto store, hitch pins work fine. The HR ones have a rubber t-handle.
Never even thought of using a hitch pin.... Thanks freak.!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EsByrd
Why would you have to cut yours?
I series of unfortunate events that all happened by chance.

If your familiar with the supplied genright pins, they have a little locking mechanism on the bottom so that when you slip the pin through the bushing, it doesn't pop up and come off.

When opening my carrier, the bottom bushing fell out of the carrier swing arm. Me not realizing it, I put the pin in and the locking mechanism somehow engaged while it was halfway in. This made it unable to open the carrier, or pull the pin completely out. I messed with it for 20 mins before busting out the grinder.

Not sure if I am explaining clearly, but a picture would tell more.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loserhead4236

I series of unfortunate events that all happened by chance.

If your familiar with the supplied genright pins, they have a little locking mechanism on the bottom so that when you slip the pin through the bushing, it doesn't pop up and come off.

When opening my carrier, the bottom bushing fell out of the carrier swing arm. Me not realizing it, I put the pin in and the locking mechanism somehow engaged while it was halfway in. This made it unable to open the carrier, or pull the pin completely out. I messed with it for 20 mins before busting out the grinder.

Not sure if I am explaining clearly, but a picture would tell more.
Wow that is some bad luck. I have the aluminum genright and havent had any problems and the bushings are super snug. Have you contacted genright and told them your problem? Maybe they would send you some new pins or at least sale you a couple for cheap. The difference with the supplied pins and a hitch pin is that the supplied pin tabs are snug so when you fold them to lock, it will stay locked. The hitch pins wont do that unless you get a hitch pin with a carter key but thats just something else to lose
Old 03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one pin from the genright carrier. You're welcome to it,free. Just pay the shipping.I can put it in an envelope. Should be about a buck. PM me and let me know.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

^awesome dude.... Definitely will get at you later!
Old 03-24-2014, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EsByrd
Wow that is some bad luck. I have the aluminum genright and havent had any problems and the bushings are super snug. Have you contacted genright and told them your problem? Maybe they would send you some new pins or at least sale you a couple for cheap. The difference with the supplied pins and a hitch pin is that the supplied pin tabs are snug so when you fold them to lock, it will stay locked. The hitch pins wont do that unless you get a hitch pin with a carter key but thats just something else to lose
I am going to try and c clamp the bushings to make them more snug. And yeah... the last thing I need is another pin to loose.... I am waiting on someone from their company to get back to me and see whats up
Old 03-24-2014, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loserhead4236

I am going to try and c clamp the bushings to make them more snug. And yeah... the last thing I need is another pin to loose.... I am waiting on someone from their company to get back to me and see whats up
Well good luck man, maybe you could put something sticky on your bushing to make it hold in the better as well. If I remember right I didnt use any grease or anything and I set them with a rubber mallet

Quick Reply: Genright / Evo Carrier Quick Release Pins