Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Genright Coilover Mounts With King Coilovers 14"

Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maertz, did you ever give them a call? Looking at my axle I'm guessing its a no go unless you have a 3 or triangulated 4 link since the UCA mount is in the way of where a coil over would need to mount to the axle.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
No i want to use the full travel or get 12".....
I didn't want to spend ton of money on coilovers but I wanted to run longer shocks

So this is what I came up with these are 12" travel and I am right at 11" travel without unseating my coils with a 4" lift

Cut the top off the stock shock tower

Took my metal cloak shock mount and guesset it up

After paint and mounted

Shocks mounted

Flexed on a big rock and you can see that my front end in still level

Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't mounted them yet, but I had somebody CNC me some custom towers for much cheaper than what Genright is selling theirs for.

I can send you the file if you are interested.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Edit - I am going through the floor, so probably not what you are looking for.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Throwing 14" coil overs on a stock length control arm will have other fitment issues not related to the shocks or limit straps. I really think you have to much bs on the wheels to run them out board anyway. You would need like .5" bs wheels on the factory axle.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not called yet ive just been looking at lots of set ups trying to see what i can learn. I did look at the rock crawler 3 link set ups as well. Im more leaning towards the 12" travel as 14s seems to be alot more work. I can worry about that way down the road if i finally decide to stretch it at the moment 14s would be overkill.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If you can fit the body of the shock with your up travel then 14" is worth going with even if you are going to limit the down travel. You will have more strength in the shock if you limit it so it is not going to full extension. I have been running 12" coilovers outboard for the last year and they are simply too short. I will be going with some 16" as soon as I can get the rig off the lift and get some weights on the rear axle. With my new double triangulated 4 link long arm stretch articulation will be just stupid.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't get what bully has done . he raised the shock towers and that should give him more up travel even though it doesn't look like it in his photos . Without high clearance fenders , what is the point ? He probably didn't have it flexed out in his pics. because the tires weren't hitting the fenders . I woder if it was not flexed out or weather he has some other factors limiting his up travel .[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

By raising the top mount you can run a longer body shock. It will retain the same amount of up travel while increasing the available droop.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you can fit the body of the shock with your up travel then 14" is worth going with even if you are going to limit the down travel. You will have more strength in the shock if you limit it so it is not going to full extension. I have been running 12" coilovers outboard for the last year and they are simply too short. I will be going with some 16" as soon as I can get the rig off the lift and get some weights on the rear axle. With my new double triangulated 4 link long arm stretch articulation will be just stupid.
Sorry im confused what you mean by if i can fit the body of the shock with my up travel. Are you refering to the tire not hitting the shock at full stuff? Also if i dont go outboard would i run into control arm issues? Also is there a set height or range i would need to fit a 14" coilover at about 4 to 4.5?

Quick Reply: Genright Coilover Mounts With King Coilovers 14"