Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Genright Auxillary Fuel Tank

Old 07-21-2014, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDub23
Have you thought about going w/o the sway bar altogether?

Sent while my wife wasn't looking...
Nope. I've followed a few Jeeps that had no rear sway bar and their performance on the road was awful; body lean that bordered on frightening. I've also been behind jeeps with the Currie anti-rock and don't care for that either. In fact in front I run an ORO dual rate sway bar so I have some sway control when wheeling. it makes a heavy JK handle better off road.

But my needs and Jeep are probably different than yours. I want to be able to run down twisty roads on the way to trails quickly, my JK is heavy and I have heavy axles. Bottom line is I want more sway control in the rear, not less.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
Nope. I've followed a few Jeeps that had no rear sway bar and their performance on the road was awful; body lean that bordered on frightening. I've also been behind jeeps with the Currie anti-rock and don't care for that either. In fact in front I run an ORO dual rate sway bar so I have some sway control when wheeling. it makes a heavy JK handle better off road.

But my needs and Jeep are probably different than yours. I want to be able to run down twisty roads on the way to trails quickly, my JK is heavy and I have heavy axles. Bottom line is I want more sway control in the rear, not less.
I wouldn't make a blanket statement on sway bars. I don't run a rear sway bar and can't tell a difference. I've had it on and off a couple times. No change on road and better off road.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

I wouldn't make a blanket statement on sway bars. I don't run a rear sway bar and can't tell a difference. I've had it on and off a couple times. No change on road and better off road.
The handling I'm sure also has a lot with driving style...lol... I would love to see how handles with out rear... have you ever hit a sharp curve or had to dodge something in the road... how does your rig handle that...
Old 07-21-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I am quite comfortable making a blanket statement. I recall running down to southern Utah to run the Hole in the Rock trail and the bolt on one side of the factory e-disconnect links came of the axle. It was immediately obvious to me that something was amiss and the guy in the Jeep behind me got on the radio asking if something was wrong. I can easily tell if I have failed to reattach the dual rate sway bar when heading home from the trail; and i can tell if I failed to disconnect when on the trail.

In addition, when adding length to the rear sway bar links after a lift, I took the Jeep out and ran it on and off road without the rear sway bar. The Jeep was all over the place and the body roll was excessive. I want more than the factory sway bar offers not less.

Maybe a light 2 door could get by; but I don't think a heavy JKU can. On the other hand I push things pretty hard. I just burned up a 241 TC in 7000 miles. When Robbie at MoTech first looked under my JK when I dropped it off for the V8 conversion he said he'd never seen a JK used as hard.

I don't know what to say about your not being able to tell a difference. Maybe it is a difference in the vehicle and it's load; I carry a Pull Pal, High Lift Jack, extra fuel, chain saw, winch line extensions, etc. When loaded out for a weeklong Jeeping/camping trip with no access to food and water i weigh in at 7500 pounds.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, I have a lighter 2-door (not sure I would call it light, but it is a 2 door). Suspension setup will have a lot to do with it. My shocks are charged to 150 psi and reduce most of the body roll. Plenty of guys running stretched JKs without sway bars with no issue. For example, ORI struts are run without sway bars. And yes, I drive it like I stole it.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Sure, I have a lighter 2-door (not sure I would call it light, but it is a 2 door). Suspension setup will have a lot to do with it. My shocks are charged to 150 psi and reduce most of the body roll. Plenty of guys running stretched JKs without sway bars with no issue. For example, ORI struts are run without sway bars. And yes, I drive it like I stole it.
Well, I'll know for sure once I get the GenRight bar on as it is 1" in diameter, though it has longer arms. As for the ORI struts I only know one guy running them and he is getting ride of them. They were on an LJ he bought and he thought he'd give them a try. He can't stand the way the LJ handles and is going to coil overs. He is an experienced Jeep owner of many decades, runs a buggy in addition to his smaller tired rigs and is a mechanic. He doesn't think anything can make them livable. But then he is very particular.

As to the gas tank, hopefully I can get in in in the next week or two and will have any opinion on it. I'd like to get it in before I drop it off with Robbie at MoTech for the install of an Atlas 4 Speed, some electronic upgrades and new belt tensioning system. The gas tank is going to require some exhaust rerouting as the TC may so might as well have him do it all.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

X2

Old 07-21-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacked2013
The handling I'm sure also has a lot with driving style...lol... I would love to see how handles with out rear... have you ever hit a sharp curve or had to dodge something in the road... how does your rig handle that...
I've hit some sharp curves, and taken some relatively fast. Haven't noticed much if any difference. Now the front, totally different story. When disco'd it has the "JK Lean" (passenger).

Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDub23

I've hit some sharp curves, and taken some relatively fast. Haven't noticed much if any difference. Now the front, totally different story. When disco'd it has the "JK Lean" (passenger).

Okay I ride without my fronts now... so wasn't sure how would ride with everything open...

Quick Reply: Genright Auxillary Fuel Tank