Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Genright Auxillary Fuel Tank

Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genright Auxillary Fuel Tank

Has anyone installed the Genright 20 gallon auxillary gas tank that they introduced at Moab Jeep Safari this year?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default Anyone Tried This Yet?

I have done some searching and can't find much on the forum. Looks like the tanks run for about $1,000, some first hand insight would be useful before I pull the trigger on this one.

It looks like they have two different tanks. A 20 gal. tank that replaces that sock one, and a 20 gal. tank that you can use in addition to the stock one.

The big things that come up when I look at it would be what exhaust can I run with these and what changes to the sway bar that need to be made.

Anyone running these? Pics?

Thank for the help,

Austin
Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damn, did NOBODY buy one of these things? I'd really like one too--it'd be great to have a 600 mile range. I'm surprised there have been no responses. It would make the jeep a perfect overland vehicle.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm kinda curious about this too. I think having a 2nd gas tank would be killer but I too need more details. How does it fill if using 2 tanks? Is there an in cab swith to swap tanks or does the factory tank drain into the genright or vise versa?

I did see that the rear swarbar needs to be replaced with a Currie anti-rock (not necessarily a bad thing). Also what exhausts are usable?

Probably have to save up for this if I get it but a 600 mile range like RustyShovel said would be sweet.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

this would be a great addition to the JK!!
Old 04-24-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have The Aux tank installed. I know of 1 other in SoCal and another in AZ.

GenRight installed my tank about 4 months ago. I have a fuel capacity of 16 in the factory tank and an additional 20 gallons in the Aux tank. I have a driving range of about 500 miles. Both tanks fill from the factory fill at the same time. each tank is equipped with it's own fuel pump that supplies fuel directly to the engine. A switch on the dash controls which tank is providing fuel. the factory fuel gauge also reads the fuel level in the selected tank. The fuel gauge takes about 15 minutes to read correctly after you switch tanks. In the event of an electronics failure (which i resently experienced) the system automatically defaults back to the factory tank.

My experiences with the tank have been very good. I've taken it on several multiple-day excursions into Death Valley and we just returned from Moab. the tank itself is aluminum and comes with a heavy duty steel skid plate to protect it. The Aux tank when filled makes the jeep tail heavy. I use the Aux tank first for travel and then use the main tank off road to help minimize the weight issue when driving off road.

I've had 2 problems with the tank. 1 is that the Aux and main tanks transfer fuel between themselves. GenRight has fixed this issue by installing 1 way valves and a fuel pressure regulator. last week while doing Cliffhanger in Moab I dropped off of a ledge and suffered an electrical problem that shorted out my rock lights, cut my CB coax cable, and as I found out on the return trip home caused an electrical failure with the Aux tank. the Aux tank responded as designed and defaulted back to the factory tank.

The installation itself was completed by GenRight so I can't discuss the procedure. the installation requires the removal of the rear floor storage. The muffler must be relocated in front of the rear axle. And the factory sway bar must be removed. The only sway bar that currently works is the Currie anti-rock
Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome Ken,

Thanks for the info. That is the type of evaluation I was looking for. Now just have to think on the pros and cons of this mod.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by KenB1010
... And the factory sway bar must be removed. The only sway bar that currently works is the Currie anti-rock
I'd really love to see some pictures of this install. I have the JeepSWAG muffler relocation kit, which also uses spacers between the factory swaybar and the frame where it attached--lowers the sway bar one inch. And I was going to buy and install the JeepSWAG storage cubbie enlargement kit, but I'd rather take an additional 20 gallons of gas and move that stuff to other locations.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'd really love to see some pictures of this install. I have the JeepSWAG muffler relocation kit, which also uses spacers between the factory swaybar and the frame where it attached--lowers the sway bar one inch. And I was going to buy and install the JeepSWAG storage cubbie enlargement kit, but I'd rather take an additional 20 gallons of gas and move that stuff to other locations.
I'll try to get some pictures up next week. I'm working this week. The currie anti-rock works because it mounts above the frame rail. the GenRight tank will not work with a sway bar that mounts under the frame rail. Also if you drive a 2 dr I would seriously consider going with the 4dr anti-rock as it is slightly bigger than the 2dr version and would help control the extra weight better.

Something that I left out of my earlier post is that GenRight also had to modify my Full Traction track bar so that it would clear the Aux tank. I suspect that any aftermarket track bar would have to be modified as well.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Genright has pics of the install on their site. The tank is over 1000 but you also need to buy a second fuel pump in addition to their kit. My estimate for turnkey was about 1600. This is for the second tank option on my JKU.

Quick Reply: Genright Auxillary Fuel Tank