Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

General performance question from newbie.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General performance question from newbie.

First off I have tried searching so please don't flame me. I recently purchased a 2013 jk rubicon. I want to add performance parts that don't void the warranty. So I'm thinking exhaust and intake. Are the results really worth the cost? Would I need to have a tuner for these? What are decent combinations? I would prefer a dual out for the exhaust. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well technically if an aftermarket part you put on causes another part of your jeep to fail or get damaged, it voids that warranty. Like if you put on an intake, and you get water sucked into the engine, repairs won't be covered under warranty. But if say your headlight goes out, they can't blame that on your intake. Know what I mean?
No, you won't need a tuner if you're installing just an intake and exhaust. However, you should disconnect the negative baterry terminal when you install the intake, then reconnect it when your done installing. It resets or "reprograms" the ecu to compensate for the more air.
as for performance. That's always up for debate. X company claims X HP. And this X part will net you X HP. There is more performance to be gained from intake and exhaust. But MPG will more than likely drop.
Intake and exhaust are good performance upgrades for daily driving. And then if you get into offroading, the list goes on and on.
to me, even before I had a jeep, intake and exhaust were always the first upgrades I'd do.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Save your money intakes and exhausts don't really do anything but lighten your wallet.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't waste your money
Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 PM
JK Freak

a 13 jku rubicon already has pretty damn good performance. intake and exhaust swaps will only burn more gas and make different/more noise when you stomp on the skinny pedal. honestly for the money yould be better off with a 2.5 lift for offroading or something. or drive it like it is until you need a mod to drive it how you want.

Quick Reply: General performance question from newbie.