Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears: When is a good time?

Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gears: When is a good time?

After reading numerous threads on lifts, wheels/tires and regearing, I've come to the conclusion that with my cash flow, I will need to prioritize. Living in the western N.C. mountains, my completely stock 4dr auto (3.73) getting up the more inclined roads. At some point in the future, I want to get a 2.5-3in lift and 35s and of course, regear to 5.13.
My question is would there be any negative effects doing the regear first? I've thought about doing a leveling kit with 33s without messing with the gears, but if I know i'm gonna have to regear anyway at some point, I figured I might as well do the biggest (price wise) first and then just save up for the lift/tires.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you could just purchase the lift and tires first and just deal with the sluggishness. Thats what I am doing. 33s and 3.21s isn't too bad, but I live in flat florida. Im not going to move up to 35s until I can afford a re gear. Wish I knew of any long term effects of driving on stock wheels and tires with 5.13s.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can do the regear first with no negative effects....as long as you remember with stock tires and 5:13s, you don't need to run 80. LOL
Old 03-17-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys.

So uh, who wants to come over and do the install? I'll make it a kegger!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with e-jeep, but I would actually do the Superchips Flashpaq in between the wheels/tires and the re-gear.

@OP: I could be wrong, but isn't the Unlimited w/ auto a 4.10? That aside, you will notice sluggishness with the 35s, and your transmission will hunt for the "right" gear more often than not. Also, your gas mileage will suffer. I put up with it for 6 months and decided to bite the bullet and get 5.13s (next Tuesday). I'm having front and rear ARB lockers installed at the same time -- only $190 more for the labor!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OnBelay
I agree with e-jeep, but I would actually do the Superchips Flashpaq in between the wheels/tires and the re-gear.

@OP: I could be wrong, but isn't the Unlimited w/ auto a 4.10? That aside, you will notice sluggishness with the 35s, and your transmission will hunt for the "right" gear more often than not. Also, your gas mileage will suffer. I put up with it for 6 months and decided to bite the bullet and get 5.13s (next Tuesday). I'm having front and rear ARB lockers installed at the same time -- only $190 more for the labor!
x2 about the programmer cuz you'll want the speedometer to read correctly. Only the Rubi has the 4.10 (auto) except the first year ('07) with tow package actually came with 4.10 gears. Great idea about doing the lockers if you can swing it because they already have it apart.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:35 AM
JK Junkie

Somewhere a while back I posted a OD off spreadsheet, planman probably knows where it is, and OD off is good for the automatic from 33s to 37s.

Please note this should be viewed as temporary or interim fix and not something I would recommend as a complete solution.

I also agree with getting a programmer, or at least a ProCal so you can get your speedometer and shift points correct.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

With you living in the mountains, I would think you would want to gear and run a superchips flashpaq first... lift and tires second... (if you can't do it all at the same time)....you will get better mileage and you're tranny will love you for it......
Old 03-19-2010, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

OK, found the OD off chart.

Sorry about the large white boarder, should be fixed when I update the image.

Last edited by JPop; 03-19-2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well huh, that chart is interesting. I see things like that and it makes me want to do the tires/lift first.
On the other hand, living in the mountains, I don't want to be stuck with 35s with no power trying to get up a hill waving everyone by and not even knowing when I'll have the money to get 5.13s.

Quick Reply: Gears: When is a good time?