Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gears, tires, power...

Old 10-31-2007, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gears, tires, power...

I currently have 3.21 and 31" tires and a manual. It does fine other than climbing big hills.

I am purchasing 33's......will 2" kill my power? Would a CAI or a Chip help?

I will eventually get regeared, but this will need to last me till spring.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Hey there,

Well with 3.21 and 33's well you would be pushing it and as for power well a Airfilter and chip will only give you noticable power with the stock set up you have.

2" i am guessin you are talking about lift? that really shouldnt effect power. If you are going to add 33's with an air filter & chip i guess it will compensate for power loss but to re-gear it would help you solve your problem with out a doubt. If you can, then re-gear and add other mods later at least that would get you runnig those 33's much eaiser

I have the Sahara 2Dr with 4.10s and stuck between 33's or 35's. I know when i had my old TJ with 3.73's and 33's it was terrible. But after i upgraded to 4.10s in my TJ with 33's it was back to stock with a little bit of power gains.

So will you loose power with 33's on 3.21 ? Yes You will need to re-gear for power loss.

Hope that helps
Old 10-31-2007, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie

But do you think it would be livable for about 4 months or so? It is my DD.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, i had my TJ on 33's on the 3.73s for 8 months till i couldnt bare the power loss and the had the $$$ in my hand and re-geared it straight away So you will be able to live with it. 4 months will fly by
Old 10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey BaltChief

I too have the 3.21s / manual trans and was worried sick over how it was going to affect my power if I went ahead with my plans to run 35s. I finally bit the bullet and did it and I was pleasantly surprised. Obviously, I will not be winning many drag races but that's now why I have a JK in the first place. Power is certainly sufficient for daily driving (this is what I use mine for) but I can't speak for any kind of hard wheeling action. I might one day step up to some 4.56s or 4.88s but it will not be any time soon. I think that you too will be happy with what you still have left in the power dept once you move up in tire size. Go for it!

Quick Reply: gears, tires, power...