Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears - Reviews, Thoughts and Comments

Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bondsy
I talked to the local gear shop who informed me the majority of gears are currently being made in Korea and China. The Korean gears being the better. Even the major brands, Korean made.
I hate to tell ya, but LOTS of things are made in China and Korea. Like lots of those shiny high end computer and television components we all love so much.

Heck, my Alloy USA axle shaft was made in India. Nothing wrong with that.

Go with a brand you trust, and a brand that stands behind their products. Where those products happen to be made shouldn't matter.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM
mjm
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emoody007

Well, I live in N. Texas so flat is not an issue. The shop that I was looking to do the install said they wouldn't warranty anything over 4.88 in a Dana 30. They qouted me for Yukon 4.88 gears front and rear installed and warrantied for $1495 + tax. that includes the overhaul kits and the 3.73+ carrier for D30. Anyway, I have the flashpaq so hopefully downshifting on grades won't be too big of an issue. Does that price sound pretty reasonable?
I think that price is good. Once you start pushing 2K that's a little out of control. I think I ended up paying around 1250.00.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

your shop is tryin to pull a fast one on you, since you have an automatic you dont need the new carrier. Your stock gears are 3.73 which is the carrier they are trying to get you to buy. You only need the new carrier if you are going from 3.21 (6 spd) to a lower gear set. You should be fine with just the gears and set up kits. Also with 35's i would recommend 5.13's as well. See if any other shops will warranty 5.13's
Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't heard that. Their website is still up. Well that's not good. Do you think it would be a bad move buying one of their kits?
direct from Rubicon Express website:

To Our Loyal Customers and Friends,

Rubicon Express is currently closed, pending reorganization. For the latest news and current information, please visit our blog at RubiconUSA.com or follow the “blog” link in the left column of this page.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

what you need to consider is that since no one seems to know when they will open, (if ever), if you brake a RE part, unless you find someone who has it, which is doubtful, you will be SOL. major 4x4 websites have removed every RE part from their websites.

it's up to you man, but i would be looking into other options.

prime example, me right now, my bushings are blown, I now will have to ccut and weld new joints completely or replace all of the control arms. this can potentialy happen to you. just think before you order,

you may not even be able to order anyways. at least not from Rubicon Express and other 4x4 companies. I would just be sure that a company has it in stock, some still have parts and some don't
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You do know Rubicon Express went out of business for now, huh?
Man, thats totally up to you. I will tell you this, a friend of mine just had a RE LA kit put on his TJ, the rear RE driveshaft is not balanced causing vibes. The shop told him with RE closed, not returning calls,etc. that they couldn't get him a new shaft. Basically told him to pound sand, my friend is not too happy after spending about 5 grand at their shop and they won't even send it to try for a re-balance on their dime. Now, it doesn't cost much to get a ds re-balanced, but fact of the matter is they were going to send it back to RE, but low and behold, poof! No mo RE for who knows how long. Anyhow, good luck with your build and whatever you choose.

EDIT: Prime ex on the JK with the capt.

Last edited by mkjeep; 02-28-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK_Sport
your shop is tryin to pull a fast one on you, since you have an automatic you dont need the new carrier. Your stock gears are 3.73 which is the carrier they are trying to get you to buy. You only need the new carrier if you are going from 3.21 (6 spd) to a lower gear set. You should be fine with just the gears and set up kits. Also with 35's i would recommend 5.13's as well. See if any other shops will warranty 5.13's
ahh good point. the carrier was like $60 and they may not have realized I had an Automatic when I emailed them. but thats the kind of info I need to keep in the back of my head. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Man, thats totally up to you. I will tell you this, a friend of mine just had a RE LA kit put on his TJ, the rear RE driveshaft is not balanced causing vibes. The shop told him with RE closed, not returning calls,etc. that they couldn't get him a new shaft. Basically told him to pound sand, my friend is not too happy after spending about 5 grand at their shop and they won't even send it to try for a re-balance on their dime. Now, it doesn't cost much to get a ds re-balanced, but fact of the matter is they were going to send it back to RE, but low and behold, poof! No mo RE for who knows how long. Anyhow, good luck with your build and whatever you choose.
Your right. I just checked out their website and danged if they were'nt shut down. thats not cool. I was really sold on their product. I may hold off to see what happens. I'll start reviewing some other options.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Your right. I just checked out their website and danged if they were'nt shut down. thats not cool. I was really sold on their product. I may hold off to see what happens. I'll start reviewing some other options.

I think that will be your best bet. I know it sucks to keep waiting for a lift, but be smart about it. No one is saying how long this will last with RE. I think we are going on a month maybe a bit more and NO word from them.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by captjay
I think that will be your best bet. I know it sucks to keep waiting for a lift, but be smart about it. No one is saying how long this will last with RE. I think we are going on a month maybe a bit more and NO word from them.
Yeah, waiting sucks. however if I'm not spending money I'm socking it away which is good. If I wait long enough I can pay for my lift, gears, and tires all at once. Still gonna do mbrp exhaust and I'm waiting to see what rugged ridge does with their snorkel idea. Damn, my wife is gonna kill me. lol...

Quick Reply: Gears - Reviews, Thoughts and Comments