Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gears and regears

Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about cold air intake? What are the views on that? As far as is it worth it ? Does it save mpgs? So on...
Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cwyatt11
How about cold air intake? What are the views on that? As far as is it worth it ? Does it save mpgs? So on...
CAI are an easy, somewhat cheap, and beneficial mod. They are definitely worth their money, regardless of how expensive they are, which isn't much btw. The gains are usually around 8-12 hp and 10-15lbs of torque, but specs vary a lot with every brand. And as far as saving on gas, it all depends on how heavy your foot is.

I put a Banks Ram Air in mine then took it for a test drive, I couldn't keep my foot off the gas, love that rushed air sound, and the throttle response is awesome. It gives me an extra 1-2mpgs, depending on how I'm driving...
Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sommer13
CAI are an easy, somewhat cheap, and beneficial mod. They are definitely worth their money, regardless of how expensive they are, which isn't much btw. The gains are usually around 8-12 hp and 10-15lbs of torque, but specs vary a lot with every brand. And as far as saving on gas, it all depends on how heavy your foot is.

I put a Banks Ram Air in mine then took it for a test drive, I couldn't keep my foot off the gas, love that rushed air sound, and the throttle response is awesome. It gives me an extra 1-2mpgs, depending on how I'm driving...
Completely agree. I to have the banks CAI with their Monster Exhaust. I recently put my jeep on a dyno and I'm seeing 214 torque and 220 HP. All at the rear wheel in 4th gear. Can't run in 5th due to the 100mph limiter in the computer.

I also noticed increases in mpg. About 2 overall. I love the overall sound of both mods and would recommend Banks to everyone.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

How easy was the instal?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cwyatt11
How easy was the instal?
On the gears? CAI? Or exhaust?

Gears.. Leave it to the professionals

CAI is a very simple 20 min job you can do with just a screwdriver.

Exhaust is also very simple with basic hand tools. Took me about 30 mins to do a catback mbrp offroad kit.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Yeh, it's easy for CAI install. Particularly easy for the Banks Ram Air because it has an air box that bolts directly where the factory air filter goes, no need to put a new mount in or anything. 15 minutes installed.

Exhaust is also easy, I put a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust on mine with only some wrenches and a pry bar. I did however have to cut away one of the factory clamps on the original exhaust with a Dremel cutting wheel, but only cuz the thing was so rusted it wouldn't loosen up. Bout 45 minutes total...
Old 09-12-2012, 03:18 AM
JK Newbie

Default regear

2007 JK 4:88 and 34".If you don't have to change carriers ( not sure where the break is now but used to be at 3:73 and up) then $1000 each axel at a shop with warranty. A must with bigger tires. Same for brakes. Rotating mass to start and stop!!

Quick Reply: gears and regears