Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears or rear bumper...

Old 02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gears or rear bumper...

Hello all,

I am looking for guidance on whether to get a nice new rear bumper with carrier or just finally up my gears to 5.13s..I have been running on 35's with 3.73 gears for over 2 years now and it has been OK but people here really swear that a regear was a fave mod. I know it seems kind of like an easy decision but I just need to hear more opinions. I have a front D30 up front, with no short term plans on upping to a 44...but I do plan on going to 37's when my 35's die in about a year. I was thinking if I did gears, might as well get gussets and sleeves as well. My wheeling habits are limited around here because everything is 2+ hours away and this is my DD but I do wheel alot in the spring/summer 10+ times. . Also, which brand gears, gussets and sleeves do you guys suggest?? I have just had my full size spare in the back for 2 years, so thats why maybe a rear bumper would be nice too. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

Mike

EDIT: I am also running open, should I add a locker in the front?? It seems that hit or miss with the D30 and 5.13s.

Another EDIT: I am running an AUTO as well.

Last edited by Bosox5; 02-21-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

to the top...no love tonight?? I guess I could of been more brief..haha.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go crazy with my spare in the back, plus with the right bumper set up you are getting a place for your jack and some extra fuel/water. Tough call though because the gears are going to be that much more important with larger tires. I'd probably go for the bumper then save up for a rubi takeoff before I'd spend a lot of money on your D30. Gears, locker, gussets, sleeves, etc. are a decent chunk of change to drop on something that will never be that great for running 37's. Just my .02.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

if I were you, do the gears. Itll take a lot of stress off your drive line. Then add some evo c2 gussets and run it like that until you think you need more. You'll probably want a locker in the rear, most people don't like running a locker on the d30. Most run a LSD like detroit truetrac or similar.
As for bumper, I'd just watch the for sale section and look to see if one pops up that you could swing with the gears too.
My vote is most definitely with the gears though, they make it so much more bearable and worlds more enjoyable to drive the jeep.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mskh20
I'd go crazy with my spare in the back, plus with the right bumper set up you are getting a place for your jack and some extra fuel/water. Tough call though because the gears are going to be that much more important with larger tires. I'd probably go for the bumper then save up for a rubi takeoff before I'd spend a lot of money on your D30. Gears, locker, gussets, sleeves, etc. are a decent chunk of change to drop on something that will never be that great for running 37's. Just my .02.

Good point, and that has been on my mind as far as shining up my terd of the D30 I have. How much do rubi take offs go for generally, I have heard several different figures and I would want to get everything to do the swap at once. But I have also read of people getting by with D30's and 37's without any major issues...so much to consider!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

man, so much of this depends on your money and what you are willing to deal with more.

if you are fine with the tire being in the rear, then go with lockers, but if you are fine with the performance, then get your bumper. the gears would be my choice since it helps with performance.

again, comes down to what money you have. if you do gears, it is advisable to do locker at same time, that saves you from paying labor cost 2 times, also same thing for gussets and sleeves.

I have the EVO sleevs and gussets, but if you are paying a shop to do these, I think it is more labor intensive than other brands, so labor cost could be more. but yes it is good thinking to do as much as you can at once while that front end is tore apart.

I have ARB locker in the front end and that is 2 times the cost of some bumpers. plus you have to buy an air compressor which can be another couple hundred. I would ask yourself if you really need lockers. If you have been fine for 2 years now, you may want to think long and hard about lockers or maybe just getting a rear locker would be enough for you style of wheeling.

there are many options you have, you could get gears, sleeves, gussets, and a bumper/tire carrier possibly for the same cost as getting gears, sleeves, gussets, and lockers frnt and rear. all of this depending on what brand of products you choose to buy. at minimum, i would do the gussets

the gear choices are about the same, they are almost all produced by the same 2 or 3 factories overseas, then reboxed for various brands. I have Yukon brand gears 5.13
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

and I am one of those people with a D30, ARB locker, 5.13 gears, and 37's for over 2 years now. have broken 2 stock axles at the u-joint offroad, never bent the "C", no axle tube iussues, nothing. on the rear D44, have bent 2 stock axle shaft flanges and nothing else

then there are some people who have similar setup who busted everything the first time out.

the evo sleeves and gussets just got added less than 6 months ago and rcv axles, figured why press my luck any longer.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by captjay
man, so much of this depends on your money and what you are willing to deal with more.

if you are fine with the tire being in the rear, then go with lockers, but if you are fine with the performance, then get your bumper. the gears would be my choice since it helps with performance.

again, comes down to what money you have. if you do gears, it is advisable to do locker at same time, that saves you from paying labor cost 2 times, also same thing for gussets and sleeves.

I have the EVO sleevs and gussets, but if you are paying a shop to do these, I think it is more labor intensive than other brands, so labor cost could be more. but yes it is good thinking to do as much as you can at once while that front end is tore apart.

I have ARB locker in the front end and that is 2 times the cost of some bumpers. plus you have to buy an air compressor which can be another couple hundred. I would ask yourself if you really need lockers. If you have been fine for 2 years now, you may want to think long and hard about lockers or maybe just getting a rear locker would be enough for you style of wheeling.

there are many options you have, you could get gears, sleeves, gussets, and a bumper/tire carrier possibly for the same cost as getting gears, sleeves, gussets, and lockers frnt and rear. all of this depending on what brand of products you choose to buy. at minimum, i would do the gussets

the gear choices are about the same, they are almost all produced by the same 2 or 3 factories overseas, then reboxed for various brands. I have Yukon brand gears 5.13
Good info. Have you had any major issues with your D30 with gears and lockers?? I don't do any crazy wheeling, just trails and mud. I try to avoids rocks and big drops as much as possible and I don't gun it hardly ever unless I need to. I may just stick with my D30 and pray for the best lol

EDIT: You beat me to the punch lol
Old 02-21-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by captjay
and I am one of those people with a D30, ARB locker, 5.13 gears, and 37's for over 2 years now. have broken 2 stock axles at the u-joint offroad, never bent the "C", no axle tube iussues, nothing. on the rear D44, have bent 2 stock axle shaft flanges and nothing else

then there are some people who have similar setup who busted everything the first time out.

the evo sleeves and gussets just got added less than 6 months ago and rcv axles, figured why press my luck any longer.
How is the 5.13s with 37s and an auto? Is it good enough?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

Geeeeeaaaaaars

Quick Reply: Gears or rear bumper...