Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears and other mods help

Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gears and other mods help

Im new to jeeping and would like some info on gears. I have a 2008 unlimited x and i believe it has a dana 30 front and a 44 rear. I have 17" tires with equivalent of 33" tires. I might consider putting 35s on later. What gear ratio do you recommend? Also does lift have any effect? I plan on putting a rough country 3.5" lift. One last thing what kind of chip can i put in to increase power and fuel efficiency a little until i get the gears taken care of?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your profile says you have an auto. So if its going to be more of a dd with minimal trail use id say 4.88's should take care of you. On the other hand if youll be doing a lot of rock crawling probably 5.13's would be better especially if you will be going to 35's. As far as a performance chip everyone seems to love the superchips tuner. Unfortunately i havent been able to use one since i have a 2011 and they dont work with 2011's yet. And as far as the lift a 3.5in lift should work well with 33's and be just enough to accommodate 35's in the future
Old 11-15-2011, 10:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The lift will cause more drag, the new tires are taller/wider/heavier, aftermarket bumpers/winch/tire carrier/armor/etc will add weight. It all needs to be taken into account. If you were 100% sure that you were staying with 33's, 4.56 or 4.88 might be a good match for an auto. Since you may go to 35's (you know you will, but we'll say 'may' for now), gear for them and not the 33's.

You want 5.13's.

The ProCal is the cheapest speedo calibrator. No tuning, but great set of features. The Flashpaq is the next step up, has great features and includes various tunes. I have both of these, you can't go wrong with either. I haven't been following any others, but be sure to check the competition before you purchase, there could be another that fits you needs better.

Post #33 in this one is good food for thought for the auto guys.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-vs-5.13/page4
Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Check out the FAQ sticky at the top of Modified Tech. There's a gearing chart there. But the short answer is 5.13's. I run that on 35's and it works really well.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:43 AM
JK Super Freak

I also run the RC 3.5 lift and I honestly love it. People give RC all sorts of crap but it rides better than stock and is incredibly complete for $500. Wheeled it pretty hard over the weekend and it's amazing. You'll be happy with it. I have them on 35's but also ran on 33's for awhile.

Looks OK with 33's and aftermarket bumper/winch weight...

Looks very good with 35's...
Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thanks for all the info. Seems like 5.13 is the way to go. Im only considering the 3.5 lift from rc because it's a good damn price and it is a dd. I have a little girl and I don't want to be crawling up trying to get her in car seat. Here is a pic. I am getting either the smittybilt xrc front and rear bumpers or body armor ones. O need a tire carrier to get the bigger tire off and those look the best I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2942737850.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	237922

Quick Reply: Gears and other mods help