Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears now or save for a RIPP SC?

Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, I have an auto and always turn off OD when towing. Not sure about the RPM's question but I can tell you that to maintain highway speed on even the slightest hill when towing the trailer I have to literally put the pedal to the floor and hold it there until I crest the hill.
I agree that re-gearing is the way to go, just suggesting that 5.38's may not be optimal if you tow a lot at freeway speeds.

I have 5.13's with 34" tires, and tow a 3500lb boat. When these tires wear out, I'll be going up to 35's to bring my towing rpm down a bit. (if I did not tow, I would choose 5.38's any day)
Old 10-16-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I agree that re-gearing is the way to go, just suggesting that 5.38's may not be optimal if you tow a lot at freeway speeds.

I have 5.13's with 34" tires, and tow a 3500lb boat. When these tires wear out, I'll be going up to 35's to bring my towing rpm down a bit. (if I did not tow, I would choose 5.38's any day)

What are your RPM's at say 70 mph with the 5.13's / 34" tires?

By the way, where did you get your gears done?

I found a place in Cedar Park that will do the gears for $1,600 all in.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler

$1600 is a little steep. I'd keep shopping...
Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I drove to Houston to get them done. Search on 'Jeep JK' in the Houston Craigslist, he advertises there daily. The prices had been going up the last i saw, not sure what he's charging now. Or consider driving up to SLC. They are (or were, at least) running a special with C gussets and installation included.

Haven't had it on the freeway in months, but I'll get some OD on/off rpms this weekend. This will get you going in the mean time...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...76&postcount=4

42RLE—Automatic, Four-Speed Overdrive
Gear Ratios 1st 2.84
Gear Ratios 2nd 1.57
Gear Ratios 3rd 1.0
Gear Ratios 4th 0.69

--------
One of you math whizzes join in here, but
35's and 5.38's = 2495rpm at 70
x .31 ? (for the difference between 4th and 3rd)
2495 * .31 gives 773.45 rpm higher
2495 + 773.45 = 3268 rpm at 70 with OD off.

Guessing it isn't that simple and I'm missing something important, but like I said, I'll get some numbers over the weekend.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-16-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler

Atomic 4x4 right? I've heard nothing but good from them (word of mouth), but they are pricey. I will probably be making the drive to SLC in Dallas too when I do gears and other technical stuff.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JUSTIN01
Atomic 4x4 right? I've heard nothing but good from them (word of mouth), but they are pricey. I will probably be making the drive to SLC in Dallas too when I do gears and other technical stuff.
Yep. Had a friend get some work at Atomic and he gave them a great review. The problem is that the boss (wife) will not be happy if I drop $1600 - $2000 on a set of gears. Hoping to buy mine from one of the online vendors and find someone who will install them at a lower cost.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john smack
I agree with maddy maybe ripp will chime in to tell us how the SC holds up to mud water and dust/dirt. And what kind of routine maintanence is needed to keep the SC functiong properly after a good romp in the bush.

OP definatly get gears first then make a decision on if you need more power.
Sure – so far (and after 300 kits sold) we have had zero returns with the entire 2009 line – in early 09 we redesigned the drive shaft and bearing housing to tolerances only machinery can pick up. We swapped up our bearings to a dual seal SKF ceramic unit and packed it with Kluber grease. This bearing costs over $120 and is comfortable in freezing cold and boiling hot and anywhere in-between. We manufacture the idlers from 304 stainless and fill them with 4 SKF bearings all that’s spun by a genuine Gates Kevlar reinforced drive belt… all the aluminum parts are powder coated and all the hardware is hardened and zinc coated – the clamps are stainless, the air filter is cotton and washable, the couplers are 4 ply nylon reinforced. The Blower is a Vortech V3 top of the line unit with every option they offer built in… the electronics are sealed with Military spec sealer and the harness is hand crafted in house, soldered and shrink wrapped… so yea you get what you pay for…

That being said – and as we’ve said in previous posts – we tested our kit for 33000 miles before making it public – however before we made it public we removed the engine and took it apart to see what it looked like – the JK engine is very stout internally with a very impressive rotating assembly.

Collectively we have completed over 100000 miles of real world testing, we have kits in Alaska and Dubai – which is about as hot and cold as it gets. There are rescue teams that rely on our system and we feel confident that they won’t have issues. Our test mule after completing 66000 miles supercharged, drove from NYC to LV then up to MOAB for Eastwr Jeep Safari and back home again with no issues and was later sold off to a new owner. This is a Jeepers kit.

To answer the question ethically and the only way it can be answered is the supercharger is not a substitute for gearing – there’s only one way to build a JK and the gears are a quintessential part of the program.

Automatic trans
5:13’S 35 boarder line 37
5:38’S 37 or 38’s
A Hypertech Speedo calibrator is absolutely imperative and required.

The problem is not the power (per-say) its the final drive ratio, its very long and a taller gearing makes the biggest difference…. However and no matter which way you cut it – you only have 125 rear wheel HP WITH OR WITHOUT GEAR’s so with gears you produce 220-240 rear wheel HP and 230lbs/ft or torque- say what you want - that’s more - and more allows you to further enjoy your JK .

Question welcome
Old 10-21-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Typically, what kind of HP/toq increase should someone expect with the Ripp mod?? thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maddygirl
Good post Ripp, Please do not take my initial post to be derogatory to your product in any way. I know Superchargers very well. I also know that to maintain them it is more involved then stock and that having the added expense of building the rest of the vehicle to handle doubling it's horsepower can be a tedious and costly process as well. I was merely pointing out the fact that the original poster was making an assessment based off of 2 totally different things in an order which made no sense. Its like asking people if you should buy the 40" tires or the 6 " lift kit. Since you mentioned your 'return' history, I am curious... Do you actually have one on used parts?
No problem - we just want o make it clear that we don't cut corners when it comes to the quality of the products -

Oh sure the early systems that came back where assessed and immediately addressed - the newest systems are tanks - we over built and over engineered.

We have had returns but not based on product failure - there's no such things as no bumps in the road - but we want to make sure that we take care of any issues right away - from time to time we get a used unit in for re-sale but its not often.

Originally Posted by veretas
Typically, what kind of HP/toq increase should someone expect with the Ripp mod?? thanks
80 TO 120 Rear Wheel HP and 70-100 Lbs/ft of torque
Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I must say this is a good thread. To have a sponsor come on here and basically concur that gears are the way to go BEFORE their product really speaks for the integrity of that sponsor. Whether you agree with super charging or not, you have to respect RIPPS honesty. Thanks RIPP.
Well you know how we do it – we want to keep our integrity and tuners and performance consultants as well – RIPP has been and still is a speed shop as well.

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I always thought the term "brown nosing" implied some kind reward. In this case, nothing could be further from the truth. I was just callin it like I saw it.
True- Redneck put us through the paces when we approached this community and we said we would keep the info solid – We believe that its important that “sponsors” comply with the sport as a whole and not just what’s best for them – We’ve tested and continue to test product from two perspective 1) the client 2) the manufacture.. if it works for us – it works for everybody.

RIPPTECH
Old 10-22-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Right. ......and I'll be FIRST in line to admit this old dawg learned some new tricks. ....and this old dawg has built a LOT of blower motors through the years. Yall have always been nothin but straight forward with the community. You cannot ask for more than that.

Quick Reply: Gears now or save for a RIPP SC?