Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears for My 2007 Jeep JK Unlimited X

Old 06-15-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears for My 2007 Jeep JK Unlimited X

Okay guys... Excuse me in advance if I sound totally unknowledgeable about vehicles, but I am trying to learn. I have a Jeep JK Unlimited X with 35x12x15 BFG All Terrains. I live in Tampa, FL and my local Jeep shop told me they can't get the gears in to swap them out because they are out of stock everywhere. I seem to be able to find them all over the internet including here.

Jeep Gears I think Are In stock

My jeep is super sluggish on interstate and just seems to lack power. Someone told me to go to the 5:13 gears.

Question 1: Is the 5:13 the best bet as far as switching out the gears?

Question 2: With a 4WD vehicle do you have to switch out the gears in both axles?

Question 3: Is the kit above everything I need to switch out my gears?

Question 4: Is there one brand that is better than another for the gears?

Don't mean to sound like I don't know what I am talking about, but I just really haven't gotten that into the mechanical side of my jeep yet. Just learning.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dp your shop is right, the gears are on backorder, David from Northridge said just a cpl days ago that prob wont have any for a month or more. Superior gears are the only one making jk gears so you cant goto another company as of now.

5.13's if you have an auto are definately the way to go.

yes you have to switch out both front and rear gears.

you should actually just need the gears with the install kit.

If you need more power while on highway passing and for uphills try shutting off the overdrive

I would put an order in for the gears if your shop hasnt already so soon as they come in David will ship them.

Good Luck
Old 06-15-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dprichard
Okay guys... Excuse me in advance if I sound totally unknowledgeable about vehicles, but I am trying to learn. I have a Jeep JK Unlimited X with 35x12x15 BFG All Terrains. I live in Tampa, FL and my local Jeep shop told me they can't get the gears in to swap them out because they are out of stock everywhere. I seem to be able to find them all over the internet including here.

Jeep Gears I think Are In stock

My jeep is super sluggish on interstate and just seems to lack power. Someone told me to go to the 5:13 gears.

Question 1: Is the 5:13 the best bet as far as switching out the gears?

Question 2: With a 4WD vehicle do you have to switch out the gears in both axles?

Question 3: Is the kit above everything I need to switch out my gears?

Question 4: Is there one brand that is better than another for the gears?

Don't mean to sound like I don't know what I am talking about, but I just really haven't gotten that into the mechanical side of my jeep yet. Just learning.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
1. for automatic trans, perfect. For manual a little deep for hiway.
2. Yes, both axles NEED to turn at the same speed. If one is differant than the other the one with the lower gear will spin out all the time.
3. Yes
4. personal preferance and check company.

I am a girl and i am NOT perfect or correct all the time.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes it is an automatic.

So, I should just need this one? Does this include the front and rear or do I need to order 2?

The other Gear Kit
Old 06-15-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Yes it is an automatic.

So, I should just need this one? Does this include the front and rear or do I need to order 2?

The other Gear Kit
Yes you just need that 1 it includes front and rear.

this is link where he responds about the gears on backorder

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/sponsoring-manufacturers-vendors-check-out-cyber-monday-specials-24/vendors-looking-4-88-gears-deal-44065/
Old 06-15-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

tkob1060

Thanks for the fast responses. You have a couple other mods I was thinking about doing. Do you get better gas mileage with the 5:13? Same with the hypertech? I was looking at the Hypertech max energy for gas savings and to get my odometer / speedometer back to stock. I found them for $349.00. Do you think they are worth the money you paid for yours?

Lastly, is the 5:13 gear swap a major thing that I would want done by someone who has done 100 or is it something me and a friend who has worked on vehicles before can do?

Last edited by deathbyfire; 06-15-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:57 AM
-

Definitely have the gears done by a professional. Somebody that has done a ton of them would be my preference.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

tkob1060

Thanks for the fast responses. You have a couple other mods I was thinking about doing. Do you get better gas mileage with the 5:13? Same with the hypertech? I was looking at the Hypertech max energy for gas savings and to get my odometer / speedometer back to stock. I found them for $349.00. Do you think they are worth the money you paid for yours?

Lastly, is the 5:13 gear swap a major thing that I would want done by someone who has done 100 or is it something me and a friend who has worked on vehicles before can do?
I believe the 5.13's will give you better mileage and the hypertech to but not by much honestly, then again it depends alot on how you drive. The hypertech is awsome with premium fuel and settings, dont notice it as much on regular. I never really calculate my mpg, its a jeep after all, but I did for part of my recent 2600mi trip to nashville and back. I was gettng 16mpg

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH have a shop that has done gears and really better if they have done jk gears already, do not attempt it yourself. I had to have mine redone because of the crappy ass job my original shop did(they lied and said they had done jk gears before). Gears lasted 1800mi(gears whinned from day one, they tried claiming it was because low fluid in front) then the pinion gear started chipping apart, they also shimmed it completely to one side which ruined the passenger side axle, they also siliconed my locker actuator parts together that they broke. So $2700 later my jeep is fixed right
Old 06-15-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

oh and you should check out the staging area and ask around there for your state, others maybe able to recommend a good shop in your area.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/south-africa-53/

Quick Reply: Gears for My 2007 Jeep JK Unlimited X