Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears Help

Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears Help

I am new to the world of jeeps so dont be too harsh on me!

I have a 08 JK 2dr X. I am putting a 2.5 inch lift on it from teraflex and looking to do 35" tires. I know that gears are needed, but what gears should I get. I drive this on ny highways and around town for the most part, and on the weekends I take it off roading thorugh trials.

Also can someone explain the difference between gears and does anyone know what axles are on the 08 JK X. I believe its a dana 30 reverse in the front and a dana 44 in the rear but im not fully sure.

Thanks eveyone all links, advice and just general information are appreciated.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

5.13 is what seems to the general consensus if you have an auto
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

5.13 front and rear?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onecrazyfuq
5.13 front and rear?
Yes, you must have the same ratio in the front and rear so they spin at the same rate when in 4wd. Otherwise you will have major breakage.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, you have a D30 front (it is high pinion, reverse cut/rotation) and a D44 rear. Make sure you order 'JK' gears, as they are different than the d30/d44 gears from older axles/jeeps. If you are also looking at lockers/limiteds, they are d30 27 spline for the front and d44 30 spline for the rear.

Whether or not to regear just depends on your budget and opinion of how gutless it is. Get the 35's, turn the OD Off, and drive for a few weeks to see what you think.

And yes, you will want to do both front and rear gears. If you only do one end, be sur eto pull the front driveshaft out until you get the other end geared.

Quick Reply: Gears Help