Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears failed. Install error or too hard ?

Old 03-16-2016, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely not normal wear and tear. Gears should outlast the life of the rest of the vehicle if set right.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:02 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I have about 120K miles on my 4.88 gears. It was the rear axle--D44!--that gave up the ghost driving up a very slight hill on a paved road while heading to Denny's for breakfast.
When I get the 60 up front and keep the stock 44 rear, I'll most likely go 4.88 although I could still get away going with a 4.56 with the 3.6 engine. I'm just glad I waited a couple more months to get a 2012 otherwise I probably would have slit my wrists already with the 3.8

Nothing like dealing with a blown gear right when your gut is thinking moons-over-my-hammy or steak and eggs lol.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE: Sense my new gears were installed already, the previous installer of the gears will be making driveshafts front and rear for me. This is great customer service on their part.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been running 5.13 on my D30 with an Aussie locker. After a week of wheeling in Moab the only carnage I had were the axle shafts. It is all about the skinny pedal and where your weakest link is. I kept the factory axle shafts and drive shaft.

Quick Reply: Gears failed. Install error or too hard ?