Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears and Diff covers

Old 12-14-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears and Diff covers

Just had 5.13 gears, G2 diff covers, and superchip installed. Definitely happy with the gear choice and superchip. (2010 unlimited auto trans)

Getting a bit of a gear whine only in the AM, and the track bar is hitting the front diff cover. Taking it back to the installer Monday.

Anyone else have a whine issue after 5.13 install, or an issue with G2 front diff cover running the track bar?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Subscribed....

I am installing my G2 5.13's in 2 weeks. still waiting for the covers to show up...
Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

From the faq's at Randys Ring & Pinion:

What is this whirring noise?
Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.

Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.

Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.

Rumble while turning may indicate bad wheel bearings.

A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.

Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts.

When I installed my gear set it was quiet, but it's getting loud with time. What happened?
It is most likely a result of the gear not being broken in properly or driven "too hard, too soon." When this happens, the gear oil breaks down and the resulting temperature inside the differential causes the face of the gear to wear away exposing the softer metal underneath. When this happens the gear will wear down more and more until the gear completely fails.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

The gear whine I am hearing is steady, and seams to get quieter after a few miles. Not really a decell or acell specific noise. No clunking or grinding noise. 350 miles into break in, no hard take offs, no towing, no off road, varied speeds as directed....

The track bar rubbing issue: there is a "fin" on the cover, and the track bar hits it when the suspension compresses. Not full compression either. I can sit on the bumper and make it touch and I am 6'1, 203 pounds...

Installer is very reputable and said to bring it in Monday so they can open it up and check things out. I will post more after they look at it. I just wanted to post now so I could be as educated as possible, and here of any similar issues and their outcome.

On a side note, if you have 35's on a auto trans...... 5.13's with a superchip are a good choice. Have not played to much since I am breaking in the gears, but I can already tell a huge difference.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:03 PM
JK Newbie

Bump.....

Dropping it off Monday morning. They said they would open them up and take a look. Any advice?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Well the good news is the gears are set correctly and wearing perfect. The great news is Rebel Offroad is awesome and I am lucky to live near by.

Of course there is always bad news. I have a dealer installed rancho lift, using s dropped pitman arm. Therefore there is s bracket dropping the track bar as well. They got it to fit, but I am going to need to upgrade. At least I know what my next thing is on the to do list.

Hats off to Jason and the guys at Rebel though. Highly recommend them if your in the area.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2464991385.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	251931   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3738766003.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	251932  
Old 12-19-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what was the whining noise about?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Basically, a combination of them breaking in and the fact 5.13's are a bit noisier than the stock 3.73's. The tolerances, torques and wear patterns were good to go.

Let me say that the noise was heard with the radio off, heater fan off, and me paying close attention. There was no change in the noise on decell or accell, and as the pics show everything is working well.

Big thing is how impressed I am with Rebel. There shop was filled with rigs, some from big name companies and they made me feel like I was the only customer and a VIP. My only disappoint is the fact the dealer installed the dropped pitman arm lift, and that I didn't have the money to pull the trigger on the better set up. Darn kids and there Christmas presents!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

you are lucky.. Drove mine for about 20 miles back home, nice and slow and this happened....

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=104341
Old 08-06-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Grizzly
Basically, a combination of them breaking in and the fact 5.13's are a bit noisier than the stock 3.73's. The tolerances, torques and wear patterns were good to go.

Let me say that the noise was heard with the radio off, heater fan off, and me paying close attention. There was no change in the noise on decell or accell, and as the pics show everything is working well.
I got the same gears and never had an issue with any kind of noise. Glad you got it worked out though.

Quick Reply: Gears and Diff covers