Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gears or chip, which first?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gears or chip, which first?

I have a 08 2 door with 3.21 gears 6 speed manual, 2.5 inch lift, 33 x 12.5 x 15 tires on steel wheels, and I plan to regear to 4.56's and also buy a superchip programmer. Now my question is, which should I buy first? My mod budget grows about 100 dollars every month. I have close to 350 or so now, so I could also buy the superchip programmer. But I will be doing the gears myself, so I only need 560 dollars for that. So my question is, should I buy the superchip programmer now and then wait 5-6 months to regear? Or should I wait another 2-3 months, buy the gears and do the install in the middle of winter in a driveway? (no shop to work in)

I think that the bigger performance boost will come from the gears. But will the superchip programmer make any difference at all at this point? (other then fixing my speedometer) I have been driving for 15,000 miles or so with the crappy 3.21 gears so I have lived with them.

It all comes down to, gears cost more but will help more. (I think) But having enough money for the superchip programmer is burning a hole in my pocket. Should I hold out for gears or give in and buy the programmer?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya gotta do both so it really doesn't matter but imo, do the gears first and go 4.88 at least. Not talking from experience just from what i read on this site.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

Gears will give you the most performance
Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
jjt
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Gears will give you the most performance
What he said.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

For those that want a little extra performance boost, but have no desire to regear, the programmer would be the way to go. Since you already know you will be regearing, and that those new gears will give a much better performance boost, why even consider the programmer first? Wait the extra month or two and get the gears.

You should also drop a post in your local Staging Area. Offer up some beer and pizza, and you may find someone willing to let you use some garage space for the install, and maybe even lend a hand to learn how to do it. A closed door and a couple little heaters sure beats a driveway in the winter...
Old 12-07-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The order is usually budget dependent.

As Piginajeep said the gears will give you the biggest bang, so if you have the bucks do that first.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

I guess I have the opposite opinion of everyone else haha

I also have a 6spd with 33x12.5's mine are on 18inch rims tho, but I also have 3.21 gears.

I have spent a long time trying to decide if I want to regear. I enjoy still getting 21mpg so I'm not sure I want to regear. The problem was the jeep was a little under powered.

I just got the superchip flash paq. I am only running the 87octane tune right now and it is a HUGE improvement. The jeep drives way better. Has way more top end, passes other people easier. It was definetely money well spent.

Since I don't intend on running anything much larger than 33's, since they have taken me every where I have wanted to go, I most likely will not re-gear unless I decide to run dana 60's and something rediculous haha

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the jeep. Rock crawling? If so regearing is probably the best way to spend money. I'd wait and re-gear. Conversly if you intend on playing in the mud and trails and things like that, and you're not having problems getting places now in the jeep, I'd do the superchips now and re-gear in the future if you still feel the need to, at which time you will have the programer to change your axle ratio's and correct your speedo for the new gears.

Hopefully this helps!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JonP
I guess I have the opposite opinion of everyone else haha

I also have a 6spd with 33x12.5's mine are on 18inch rims tho, but I also have 3.21 gears.

I have spent a long time trying to decide if I want to regear. I enjoy still getting 21mpg so I'm not sure I want to regear. The problem was the jeep was a little under powered.

I just got the superchip flash paq. I am only running the 87octane tune right now and it is a HUGE improvement. The jeep drives way better. Has way more top end, passes other people easier. It was definetely money well spent.

Since I don't intend on running anything much larger than 33's, since they have taken me every where I have wanted to go, I most likely will not re-gear unless I decide to run dana 60's and something rediculous haha

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the jeep. Rock crawling? If so regearing is probably the best way to spend money. I'd wait and re-gear. Conversly if you intend on playing in the mud and trails and things like that, and you're not having problems getting places now in the jeep, I'd do the superchips now and re-gear in the future if you still feel the need to, at which time you will have the programer to change your axle ratio's and correct your speedo for the new gears.

Hopefully this helps!
I agree......about the only way he should get the Flashpaq first is if he hadn't totally made up his mind about regearing. Many have "thought" about regearing but after installing the Flashpaq have found out that they are happy with just that. If you ARE going to regear....then regear. If you haven't totally decided then try the Flashpaq first.

Quick Reply: gears or chip, which first?