Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears, Axle, Chromoly

Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Gears, Axle, Chromoly

Looking for advice on what order I should or NEED to do for performance with a 2010 JK unlimited and stock front dana 30. Regear to 4.88/5.13 first or Upgrade to a Pro Rock 44 on the front Or get a dana 30 chromoly axle kit? RCV performance Axle Shaft? Thanks in advance for your response.
Need to get my profile up to standards here. Picture and specs to come. Thanks!

Last edited by SWFL; 04-03-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the cash, don't mind parting with it and believe your wheeling style warrants it, get the ProRock. Otherwise do what you can. C Gussets, truss and Chromo axles will go a long way toward beefing up that 30 and you can do all of that individually meaning, as money is available. Really just comes down to the bank account.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rsbmg
If you have the cash, don't mind parting with it and believe your wheeling style warrants it, get the ProRock. Otherwise do what you can. C Gussets, truss and Chromo axles will go a long way toward beefing up that 30 and you can do all of that individually meaning, as money is available. Really just comes down to the bank account.
If I were to get the PRo Rock the ring and pinions come separately. Does it matter what gearing I have when I purchase the ring and pinions? Thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Wow, you know how to push all of the right buttons to get a "discussion" going. LOL. For my response, just look at my mod list (linked in my signature). To see what I do with that Jeep, check out DigitalByDoiron on YouTube.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SWFL
If I were to get the PRo Rock the ring and pinions come separately. Does it matter what gearing I have when I purchase the ring and pinions? Thanks!
I'm not sure I follow your question exactly. The prorock is a complete new differential and they sell it as a housing if you wanted to build it yourself or as a built to spec unit complete with gears axles etc.

What gears you have now have no bearing on the prorock unless your asking if you can take all your current components and put them in the prorock and the answer to that is no.

Edit: Ok I think I see what your asking. If you purchase a new differential assembly, the gears in the front must match the gears in the rear for 4wd use.

Last edited by rsbmg; 04-03-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You don't NEED to do anything. You can just drive it as is and go have fun.

If you WANT to start spending money on the front axle, decide what your goals are. I personally like over-built, but many people just regear and slap on gussets and have no issues.

Why don't you start with listing out all of the things you want, and do a straight up comparison versus a PR44/Tera44? If you can accomplish your goals by putting $1500 or $2000 into your D30, does it make sense 'for you' to dump 5k into an aftermarket D44?

This one has a fairly good comparison:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-build-274896/
Old 04-03-2014, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Wow, you know how to push all of the right buttons to get a "discussion" going. LOL. For my response, just look at my mod list (linked in my signature). To see what I do with that Jeep, check out DigitalByDoiron on YouTube.
Thank you Mark I will check out the mods and youtube.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rsbmg
I'm not sure I follow your question exactly. The prorock is a complete new differential and they sell it as a housing if you wanted to build it yourself or as a built to spec unit complete with gears axles etc.

What gears you have now have no bearing on the prorock unless your asking if you can take all your current components and put them in the prorock and the answer to that is no.

Edit: Ok I think I see what your asking. If you purchase a new differential assembly, the gears in the front must match the gears in the rear for 4wd use.
I understand the PR is a new differential but states that the ring and pinion are sold separately. When I researched them it appeared they came based on the gearing. Perhaps I am wrong. I think based on my needs I will beef up my 30 with a kit. I have 33 nittos with flat bushwacker fenders and looking to go 35 and my concern is over the front axle with off roading. I am near the everglades so no boulders but it can get rough. I am also concerned (besides the gas mileage which is currently at 12 mpg) that the front axle needs to be upgraded if I were to run 35's on a highway along with regearing to keep up.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SWFL
I understand the PR is a new differential but states that the ring and pinion are sold separately. When I researched them it appeared they came based on the gearing. .
The ProRock 44 is an entire new front axle housing, not just the diff.

If you get just the bare housing with nothing in it, you're paying around $2200. This is for people who want to build it themselves, or people who already have a JK Rubicon front d44 - since they can just swap all of the internals into the PR. (since you have a d30, you can not use your current R&P, carrier, inner axle shafts, joints. You can re-use the 32sp outer axle shafts, hubs, brakes.)

If you get the full assembly, you're paying around $5000 (depending on which internals you choose).

Northridge has a decent pr44 builder, but there are more options available than they show here.
Dynatrac ProRock 44 Unlimited Package (PROROCK44UNL_PKG)

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-03-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The ProRock 44 is an entire new front axle housing, not just the diff.

If you get just the bare housing with nothing in it, you're paying around $2200. This is for people who want to build it themselves, or people who already have a JK Rubicon front d44 - since they can just swap all of the internals into the PR. (since you have a d30, you can not use your current R&P, carrier, inner axle shafts, joints. You can re-use the 32sp outer axle shafts, hubs, brakes.)

If you get the full assembly, you're paying around $5000 (depending on which internals you choose).

Northridge has a decent pr44 builder, but there are more options available than they show here.
Dynatrac ProRock 44 Unlimited Package (PROROCK44UNL_PKG)
Thank you for that information! I was looking at just the bare housing then.

Quick Reply: Gears, Axle, Chromoly