Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears - affecting my plans

Old 01-21-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigmaverse
Are you sure you have 3.21 gears? 2007 autos came with 4.10 gear in auto, 3.21 in manual. then in 2008, they went to 3.73 in the auto and 4.10 in Rubicons only (you may have received the bump to 4.10 with trailer pkg as well.)

I had both, an 07 manual with 3.21, and an 08 auto with 3.73. (I was very upset to find out I didnt get the 4.10's)

also, I running 35's with the 3.73, while not great, you really dont need to upgrade. I would think you could run 4.10 with the 37's just the same... that could eliminate your issue and allow you to upgrade the axle when your ready.
I have a 2007 auto trans unlimited X with 3.73s, thats what the diff tag says
Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Early model 2007 - I'll look for the diff tag
Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

I have felt your pain three times already, twice with TJs and once with the JK and now I have an LJ Rubi that is still stock. It all is a ripple effect except the lift (technically).

You can do the lift with out changing any gearing or tire size, but your rig will look really bad with stock tires. Soooo

If you lift, you will want to put on larger tires.

Larger tires will require regearing if you want to even come close to driving on the highway.

Regearing, 5.13s is a must for an automatic and if you are really planning to run 37s, which is what I run, then I would put in 5.32s.

But to fit 5.13s or bigger you will need to upgrade the front to a D44.

Bottom line, to run 37s, you need to do the lift, gears and front axle all at once. The lockers can come later. If you are really goning to do serious wheeling you might want to look into just putting some D60s under it and be done with it.

Remember that all it takes is money!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mall Krawler
Why throw all that money away on replacing parts with other parts. You know what you want, do it right the first time. All that money wasted on stage 1 could have been spent on stage 2 from the start and why gear and lock the axles you want to get rid of anyway more wasted money. To lock and gear both axles would be about $3800 that could almost cover one of the dana 60s. Just my 2 cents
It is way cheaper to do it all at once yep. BUT I would rather get my rig on the trail and have it do great today than sit around dreaming about tomorrow. It costs more money to go that route, but needs change, and building my rig step by step and selling my old components as I go keeps me on the trail and stepping up in trail difficulty.

If you are the kind of guy that is getting a shop to install a truckload of stuff you just ordered out of the q-tec catalog (nothing wrong with that) I say save up or Credit card it and do it all in one swoop. I am poor, have to do all my own work, and enjoy building my rig into different levels of capability. I would be saving and mall crawling for years before getting to do anything more than a beginner trail if I had to do everything I wanted all at once.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 AM
Lee
JK Enthusiast

Im feeling your pain! That was my delema too... I bought my Jeep last weekend with the same idea as you. I had my budget all planned out before I purchased the jeep. Very frustrating, but I've decided to suck it up and buy the Currie D60. I won't have any regrets later. Maybe I'll do the D60 rear too? I'll decide on that today. You have to have a good foundation. I guess the supercharger will have to wait.... Maybe.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

If dana 60's are installed, then re-gearing is a must to counteract all the extra weight of the tires and axles.

Quick Reply: Gears - affecting my plans