Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gears?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColinW
Only with the auto, or both trannys if you primarily use your Jeep on the trail; from my experience that combo with the 35's under a stick are too much for regular street use.
care to elaborate on the "to much for street usage?"
Old 08-06-2008, 12:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yellowrubi
care to elaborate on the "to much for street usage?"
Sure...

1. Low end acceleration suffers since you're essentially crawling on the street throughout the full range of first gear. You could start out from a stop in second, but I found that 2nd is kind of high when you start out from a stop and you will be slipping the clutch quite a bit. The ideal would be somewhere inbetween 1st and 2nd.

2. I find myself shifting every second and a half when accelerating...there's no oomph; feels like there are weak legs just giving the JK a little nudge in each gear upshift.

3. Top end highway speed suffers since you're running almost exacly 2500rpm at 60mph. I've found that my stick and engine start to really vibrate and roar above 2500 rpm. What that means is that the engine will be in it's powerband above that engine speed, which isn't bad for the engine since it's comfortable being kept up there, but...see #3 below.

4. Gas is sucked down like there's a big hole in the gas tank. Worse than the stock 32's with 4.10's, and much worse than the 35's with 4.10's.

5. Because I like driving very conservatively on the street, even though the engine is just fine being kept up in the powerband, I found myself restricting my speed to 60mph on the highway. The stock rpms at 65mph were down around 2200-2300rpm if I remember correctly, and I just can't let myself bring the engine up past the lower limit of the powerband, as the stock config didn't even do it at that higher speed. This is just a personal preference, but I'd like to keep my Jeep for a long time and to me, increasing the engine speed is unnecessary when on the street. And, besides that, it's just unnecessary extra wear and tear on the drivetrain.

6. 5 foot race? Nothing will beat it...While the JK is not even in the same house as a sports car, I expect better driveability on the road than what the 5.13's and 35's give with a stick. That's why they have 37's. According to the math, 37's would be next to perfect...big tires with the gearing giving an overall drive ratio just lower than the stock 4.10's but not so much as the 35's with the 5.13's.

Now this is what to expect when you're on the street. Off-road, it's a dream with 5.13's and 35's, especially when you have some steep rocks to climb and to drop off of, but I'd certainly enjoy gaining some driveabiliy back on the street, and that's why 37's are in my future.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for all that information, now i know i should go 4.88s and 35s. and does the VMI in your avatar, is that Virginia Military Institute?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by putnam dan
You should note that that is all ColinW's opinion, there are plenty of us driving 5.13s and 35's with no issues what so ever. Your top speed limit in NJ is 65 so if you stick to that the 5.13's and 35's are fine - if you want to go a higher speed yes lower gearing is in order.

I'm fine with the rapid road shifting (you also have more pull at lower revs with the higher gears) so can happily jump 1-3-5 or 2-4-6 or any combination you want to go.

EDIT - I didn't see any change for the worse in Gas Mileage as it will all depend on how you drive.

It all depends if you have auto or 6spd.....

auto goto 5.13
6spd goto 4.88....well thats what the majority here have done and been happy

lmao @ speed limit in NJ is 65 so if you stick to that ..........Not many of us here in NJ stick to speed limits
Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Now im really conrfused......It seems i guess 4.88's? ill call some shops you guys mentioned and talk to them bout it. Thanks for the info tho!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

And yes, i have been with Renzo for almost 8 years. I train in manhattan and here in NJ. I teach also.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Yeah, 4.88 would probably be the way to go with a 6spd. That one's on my todo list...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yellowrubi
and does the VMI in your avatar, is that Virginia Military Institute?
Yep!

I definately noticed a change in gas milage and I baby my JK on the street...about 75 miles less per tank than in stock configuration...with me driving about 10 mph faster in stock form and with hills in VA, vice now at 60mph and at sea level here in San Diego. This is my experience and like Putnam said, somewhat my personal opinion, so yours might differ.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

6 speed, 5.13 gears and 35's. It perfect IMO...

I have a poll on here, and its basically split down the middle, with auto's and Standards with 5.13's.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Putnum I didnt say anything about not being happy with 5.13's I love my 5.13's I have an auto.

Quick Reply: gears?