Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears for 35's

Old 05-10-2010, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears for 35's

i'm puttin 35's on my wrangler x automatic and i was wondering if i can use my stock gears for a while if it going to mess anything up..and im getting 17mpg now what can i expect when i put 35's on it?????

How much will i have to spend to put new gears if needed??
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkwhite12
i'm puttin 35's on my wrangler x automatic and i was wondering if i can use my stock gears for a while if it going to mess anything up..and im getting 17mpg now what can i expect when i put 35's on it?????

How much will i have to spend to put new gears if needed??
It depends on your driving style, but you'll probably lose 2-4mpg's. Running your stock gears are going to not going to "hurt" anything, but they will put more wear and tear on your transmission. It will have to work harder by downshifting more often to get into an acceptable rpm range. You can typically have gears done for about $1,000-1,500(parts and labor). I wouldn't pay more than that. You can probably save a few bucks by ordering the parts through Northridge4x4 or another vendor and take them to a local shop for the install.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

There's a place in Panama City called "Son of a Jeep". I'm probably going to check them out when I decide to regear.

Here's a thread for our local area. You might be able to hit up some of these guys for a recommendation.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...sacola-navarre

Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Gears for 35's

The factory gears are liveable, but you will definitely want to regear. The AEV Procal seems to help.

Sent from my Droid
Old 05-11-2010, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with the other guys too. The stock gears will be tolerable, and I stress tolerable. The added weight of the new rubber is gonna do nothing but tax your drive train and like the other post said, your shift points with the transmission will be off a bit. An AEV Procal will help, but I think a Superchips Flashpaq would be a better buy to recalibrate your speedo, fix the shift points, and get some performance. When I moved to 35's I went ahead and regeared to 5.13's, but its all about your cash flow and your personal prefrence. JeepersDen in Orlando did my gears for $1000 gears included. Hope this helps
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gears do you have stock ? If you have 4.10s they are ok...my mpgs dropped to about 13-14 on 35s and 4.10s. When I changed to 5.13s the jeep drove better than new. I now average 17 mpgs with the 87 superchip tune. I drive like a grandma (according to my wife !)

The going rate for gears here in WI is about $1500 labor plus parts. Ordered my complete overhaul set from Northridge. So....about 2K for all.

Quick Reply: Gears for 35's