Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears

Old 03-12-2020, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears

I have a 2011 rubicon with 4.11 gears. Going to 35s soon. First question: stock - my front is dana 30 and rear 44? If I was to go up on gears from the 4.11 what should I go to and how much is that typically? I am rather new to this and I know I am going to lose some power with the tire change from the 33's. I eventually may put a new engine in but that will probably just be a 3.8. What mods can be done to that engine besides turbo/supercharger to get a little more out of it? Also, if I wanted a new 3.8 where is the best place to look?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-12-2020, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

With a rubicon, you have a D44 front and a D44 rear (a different d44 than non-rubicons use for rear axles.)

Prices for gearing varies widely by location. It can be found as cheap as $800 or so, or as expensive as $3500ish. Average seems to be around $1500. But you need to judge your local price by other shops in your area, not by what people are paying in Florida or Texas or California or anywhere else !!! Call or stop by all of you local shops. Compare not only the labor charged to install gears, but the price for the gears themselves and the details of the warranty that is given. These details can vary quite a bit among just your local shops. Try and find some local jeepers / jeep groups to get opinions and references.

Ratio? Depends. Which transmission do you have? What is your typical usage? (lots of 80+ mph freeway? Mostly in-town, rarely go over 50? Offroad-only toy?) How about your area? (all flat roads at sea level is different than mountain passes at elevation). And then there is just personal opinion. For my 08 auto, I like being around 2500rpm on the freeway. Others like being under 2k. None of us can know your personal preference. BUT, 3.8 with 35's and an auto, 5.13 is fairly common. 6-spd, 4.88 or even 4.56 are more common.

Performance improvements will be minor, the big jump will come with the expensive turbo's/sc's. You will need to decide if 10 or 15 or 20 hp justifies the cost of whatever you are looking at. If big hp numbers are what you want, forget all the little bits and start saving for a Hemi/LS swap.

Quick Reply: Gears