Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears

Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Family-JK
Sorry don't mean to steel the thread but I'm racking my brain on this. I understand you statement, but I also plan on occationaly towing (no more than 3500lbs). Would this change your opinion on tire size and gears. I was under the impression that the teeth on 5.38's were to thin with 44's. Obviously I'm not towing in overdrive with an auto anyways, but trying to find the right mix that gives you the best of all applications, ie: offroad, daily driving & towing. Might be asking to much thought.
If your intent is to tow with OD off (which I think is a positive way to look at things) then you just look at your picture as to what it does as a daily driver or off road. The 5.38 story has been blown out of proportion because of who it happened to and the big stick they carry. Not that their assertions are wrong, but a fairly unique vehicle, and then all the parrots that spread the word.

That said, get the gear set that's going to tip you by 2300 rpm at your highway speeds and the rest takes care of itself. Again, OD off is a huge part of not building things out to your tow specs.

Quick Reply: Gears