Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gears

Old 04-12-2010, 04:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without a programmer the gears likely weren't compensated for either somewhat reducing the variance. In round numbers from 4.10s w/32s to 5.13s w/37s the speedometer is going to be around 5mph slow.

Even with a programmer to get the speedometer, shift points and gear hunting sorted out, 5.13s are nominally acceptable for 37s and an automatic. It also takes an additional 50% of wheel horsepower to go from 60 to 70mph, so as little as a 3 degree grade is going to kick you down and out of overdrive. That means something as small as an overpass on an otherwise flat freeway is going to spike your rpms at 3600+.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Im about to regear and My buddy is doing it. So far I have 2 questions. I need to know what fluids to order and how essential the break it period is?

I have the Yukon Gear and axles. The basic install kit since i have 1k on my 2010 jeep. I also have a bearing separater and am ordering a rear ARB locker with the on board air.

Is there anything else i will need for the install?

Also I wanted to get them in before i go wheeling in nags head which is 100 miles away and wanted to wheel down there. Ill be staying there for a week. Well i calculated it out and i will need to install my gears and locker 2 days before i leave. Should i just wait and do the install when i get back??? i Really dont want too! =[

O yeah also any other essentials mods i should get. I run 35's on a Jeep X and I bought Evo gussets and plan to get a programmer eventually. Any other mandatory mods to keep it a DD and not breaking shit? thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPop
Without a programmer the gears likely weren't compensated for either somewhat reducing the variance. In round numbers from 4.10s w/32s to 5.13s w/37s the speedometer is going to be around 5mph slow.

Even with a programmer to get the speedometer, shift points and gear hunting sorted out, 5.13s are nominally acceptable for 37s and an automatic. It also takes an additional 50% of wheel horsepower to go from 60 to 70mph, so as little as a 3 degree grade is going to kick you down and out of overdrive. That means something as small as an overpass on an otherwise flat freeway is going to spike your rpms at 3600+.
Based on your opinion do you think that 35" tires would kick down in the same manner with 37" if you have 5.13's and an auto (including intake, exhaust & programmer). I was planning on installing 5.13's and 37's and live in northern California were we do have some pretty good grades. I use my jeep as a daily driver as well as offroad. Wondering if I should stick with 35's. Everyone opinion would be greatfull in this matter.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Lets put it this way, the difference between 35s and 37s are greater than the difference between 5.13s and 5.38s. That said, if I'm rolling an automatic and I have a D44 front I would roll 5.38s even with 35s. Don't be afraid to twist the motor a bit and you won't see anything more than nominal efficiency decreases until you get over 2700rpm.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ringpinion.com/FAQ.aspx#37
Old 04-12-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Just for clarification.....as you didn't reprogram, are the speeds you are trying to reach (mentioned above) based on what the speedometer says, or based upon a gps, etc?

I ask, because with 37's, your speedometer is off by ~ 13.5 % or more (Depending upon what tires your's was calibrated for...), so you're really going closer to 75 when the speedo says 65 mph, etc.

And - you don't say whether the speed was hard to reach because the engine was winding out (RPM too high), or because it was too weak to even get the rpm to climb, etc.

For example, with 32's, 60 mph is around 2k rpm in 6th

37's would drop that rpm to ~ 1,730 rpm at 60 mph

5.13 gears would then RAISE that rpm by ~ 27.3 %, back UP to ~ 2,202 rpm at 60 mph

This means 5.13's have more than compensated for the 37's as far as final drive ratio...

...and you are now just fighting the extra drag and rolling resistance of the larger tires in addition to the gearing issues.

And - when your speedometer is telling you you're going 65 mph, you're actually going ~ 9.2 % more (After the tires and gears are corrected for...) or ~72 mph.

So, IF the above were correct, its 72 mph you are trying to maintain in the same way that you WOULD have tried to go 65 mph...making the jeep seem slower, etc.

If you did 5.38's instead of 5.13's, that would ADD ~ 4.6% to your rpm at any given speed, and make the speedometer off by that amount more than it was already off by.

IE: You'd be at 2,308 rpm instead of 2,202 in the above example....a difference of only 106 rpm.

I figured it was around 7 mph off so my speedo was showing 58 mph. It I can do 75-80 at around 3700 rpms wiithout OD.

I figured if I went 5.38 I could run more in OD and have more RMPs so I would not downshift into 3rd on the fwy. I guess I would rather have the quicker pickup speed and be able to get better gas milage by having the overdrive actually work on the fwy.

Maybe that does not work that way.

Chido
Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPop
Lets put it this way, the difference between 35s and 37s are greater than the difference between 5.13s and 5.38s. That said, if I'm rolling an automatic and I have a D44 front I would roll 5.38s even with 35s. Don't be afraid to twist the motor a bit and you won't see anything more than nominal efficiency decreases until you get over 2700rpm.
Sorry don't mean to steel the thread but I'm racking my brain on this. I understand you statement, but I also plan on occationaly towing (no more than 3500lbs). Would this change your opinion on tire size and gears. I was under the impression that the teeth on 5.38's were to thin with 44's. Obviously I'm not towing in overdrive with an auto anyways, but trying to find the right mix that gives you the best of all applications, ie: offroad, daily driving & towing. Might be asking to much thought.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought 4 qts of Royal Purple Synthetic (Max-Gear) Gear Oil SAE 75W-90 for after my 500 mile break-in period.

Did I get a good Gear Oil? I have seen it alot on Spike TV's Xtreme 4X4.

And is 4 qts enough I have Riddel diff covers if that makes a diffence?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

bump ..........
Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cunningwolf09jk
I just bought 4 qts of Royal Purple Synthetic (Max-Gear) Gear Oil SAE 75W-90 for after my 500 mile break-in period.

Did I get a good Gear Oil? I have seen it alot on Spike TV's Xtreme 4X4.

And is 4 qts enough I have Riddel diff covers if that makes a diffence?
I run RP, I have TeraFlex covers , took about 1.5 for the D-30 in frt. 2.5 or so in the rear, you may wanna pick up an extra quart just in case, I always buy a coupl ahead anyway. Maybe someone will chime in for the riddlers.

Quick Reply: Gears