Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gearr swap and carriers

Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm changing my gears from 3.21 to 4.88s. They said I don't need to change the carriers. Is that true I heard you did?

Last edited by jaybrown; 03-20-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the manufacture of the gears. If they say you don't need it then you don't need it.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody else ?????
Old 03-21-2012, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can buy a thick ring gear. I know Yukon sales them. Call northridge.

I just got 513s and have done it on numerous other jeeps.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM
JK Junkie

I changed my front carrier when I had my gears done. If you need it, PM me. I just had TrueTracs installed so I don't need it. I'll treat ya right.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need to change the front but not the rear.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why do some people say I need carriers for both d30 and d44. Then some people say I don't on a jk specialty gear ???? What is it
Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
You'll need to change the front but not the rear.
^^^This is your answer^^^
Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybrown
Why do some people say I need carriers for both d30 and d44. Then some people say I don't on a jk specialty gear ???? What is it
It could be that people don't know the differences or that they're thinking about lunchbox lockers.

All rear JK 44 aftermarket gears are what is known as 'thick' gears. Usually Dana 44 gears use 2 different carriers and the carrier you need will be determined by your gear ratio. 3.73 and down gears use one carrier and 3.92 and up gears use another. JKs, and their earlier TJ Rubicon brothers, changed that. The TJ Rubicon, like the JK Rubicon, has a standard 4.10 ratio. However, they were built on the 3.73 down carrier, not the common 3.92 and up carrier. The aftermarket mfgrs knew that Rubi users would want to change ratios and produced a full line of desirable ratios (4.56, 4.88 etc) in the 'thick' design so Rubicon owners would not have to change to a different locker when they needed a gear swap. Since the Rubicon requires a 'Thick' gear, the replacement gears also fit non-Rubi models that would have the 3.73 and down carriers anyway due to ratios used on the Jeeps- 3.21, 3.73.

Now the confusing part- JK rear 44 open carriers are slightly different, internally, than previous open differentials and common lunch box lockers, like an Aussie, won't fit. To install an Aussie in the rear of a JK you need an open Dana 44 carrier from a TJ or earlier model, also 3.73 down. You need to re-drill the ring gear bolt holes for the larger bolts used in JKs but that not a difficult job.

FWIW- I don't usually recommend a lunch box for rear applications, especially for DD use. Unlike a Detroit Locker, which provides very similar performance, lunch box lockers wear over time and have a tendency to shear pins making them useless. A Detroit Locker is a far better option if you want auto-locker perfomance. One of the big advantages of a lunch box is the ability to install it yourself without a back lash/shim change to your carrier. With a JK you need to replace the carrier anyway so spending a couple of extra $$ for a Detroit is well worth the cash.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bugged them again and they questioned the supplier and turns out everybody here is right. You need a front carrier. Thanks for the info or else I would have had a jeep with the front end apart for a couple days waiting for parts or paying extra to put it back once they noticed it wouldn't work. Thanks everyone

Quick Reply: gearr swap and carriers